Chapter Nineteen

I barely slept last night, with the boys who have become my second family and my boyfriend leaving for a few weeks.

Not to mention the conversation Hayes and I are going to have later today.

It doesn't seem like a long time they'll be gone but only two out of the eight guys are coming back to North Carolina. The others are going to continue on with their successful lives.

It was a bittersweet feeling for me.

The alarm on my phone was set for 5:30 A.M. and I woke up at two and couldn't fall back asleep.

When my phone started ringing I slowly reached my arm over to my night stand and turned it off.

I sighed and sat up. I didn't want them to leave. I also didn't want them to go on tour without a goodbye from me.

I sniffled and wiped a tear from my eye before it fell on my face. Then I stood up and walked to my closet.

I pulled out a maroon hoodie with a black volleyball on the front and my Jersey number on the back: a gift my team last year all got from our coach Brea.

I slipped it on over the tank top I fell asleep in and pulled on black jeans. I shuffled into my bathroom and brushed my teeth and put on some simple makeup.

It was barely six when I was ready. The boys had to be at their gate by 8:30 so we were leaving around 6:30.

I grabbed my phone and walked into the kitchen where my mom was sitting at the table reading a book.

She saw me and stood up to give me a hug.

"How you feelin?" she asked me.

"If I had a wooden spoon lodged in my eye I think I'd still be happier than how I feel now," I answered.

She chuckled, "I know you're gonna miss them all, but you can still hang out with Hollie, Hayes and Brooke."

My parents still don't know about what happened this summer and I plan to keep it that way.

"Come on, eat something so you wont feel sluggish all day," my mom told me.

I walked to the fridge and grabbed some apple juice. I didn't really feel like eating so I figured juice was okay for now.

After my juice my mom and I walked over to the Grier house. It was grey and cloudy, just like my heart. 

I saw the guys loading their luggage into three separate taxis.

Aaron threw his suitcase into the trunk of one before I ran up to him and engulfed him into a hug.

"I'm gonna miss you so much," I  said into his chest.

"Please don't cry, Jessi. I swear I'll come visit you one weekend," Aaron said sadly. I looked up at him and nodded.

I walked around and gave everyone a hug. I wasn't the only one who was bummed today. They all looked sad to leave.

I hugged Hayes last. It was just like the hug he have me when he came home from his last tour.

He held onto me tight and sighed. We started rocking back and forth and my head was buried right where his heart was.

No matter how much he hurt me he will always have a special place in my heart and memory forever.

"Hollie isn't coming to the airport," he whispered into my ear.

I nodded then let go of him.

"Guys, I think we should leave now," Cameron said quietly.

"Aaron, Jess is gonna ride with me and Hayes. We need to discuss something important," Nash told Aaron.

He nodded in permission and climbed into the backseat of one of the taxi cabs, followed by Matt and Shawn.

I hopped into another with Hayes and Nash.

"What did you need to tell me?" I asked.

Nash sighed and as soon as the taxi started towards the airport he spoke.

"Hayes, you begin."

"Look. I feel like crap for what I did to you. And I know now that I should've told you what was going on earlier, both of you," he began.

"What's going on?" I asked both of them.

"First off, don't hate Hayes anymore," Nash said.

"I don't hate him," I said.

From the look on Hayes's face a huge weight was lifted off of his shoulders.

Then he continued, "Remember at my birthday party when Hollie pulled me aside to talk to me?"

"What did she tell you?" I asked impatiently.

"She told me she had a huge crush on me. But she knew I liked you and not her so she told me if I didn't get rid of you she would ruin your life. I know it doesn't seem like a huge deal but she described in detail what she and her friends had in mind for you."

My eyes were opened wide.

"She knew stuff about you, secrets I didnt even know, Jess, and she told me about how she was gonna get you kicked off the volleyball team, and out of school, and spread lies that would get you in huge trouble. I couldn't let that happen. I love you and that feeling isn't changing any time soon. It kills me everytime I see you and Aaron together and I know I messed up.

"I should've told you that very same day and we could've worked something out, but I panicked. I couldn't bear the thought of you going through what she had in mind so I agreed. Every second I spent with her was a nightmare and I always imagined it was with you." he finished.

Tears were forming in his eyes and threatening to spill.

By now I was already crying. I gave him so much crap and it wasn't even his fault.

"I'm sorry, Hayes," I sobbed. This was the first time I cried in front of him but I'm just relieved.

He was crying as well and I saw that Nash getting teary in the backround too.

Hayes sniffled and wiped his eyes.

"And Nash? I should've come to you for help instead of keep it from you," Hayes said.

"Come here, little Bro," Nash hugged Hayes really tight. "I should've known something was off instead of automatically hating your guts. I'm sorry."

So basically we were all sitting in the back of a cab crying. I'm just glad that there was glass separating us and the driver.

"Jessi, I miss having my best friend around, and this tour doesn't help. I'm so so sorry for what I did to you. I just want your forgiveness, and if you don't want to be friends then I underst-"

I cut him off by hugging him tightly. I was still sobbing uncontrollably and his hugs always made me feel better.

"You'll always be my best friend, Hayes Grier. And you still will be during your tour. Best friends are never apart, maybe in distance but not in heart," I said.

We stayed hugging until we got to the airport and we all stopped crying.

The cab pulled up to the drop off and the other two pulled up behind. We dropped the luggage off and walked into the airport.

I was now sadder than ever.

I just got my best friend back and now he's leaving me again.