Chapter Thirteen

This past week Hayes has been trying to spend as much time with me as he possibly could. We've been hanging out at the park, at home, just everywhere.

He told me he loved me and admitted he wanted me to be his girlfriend, but he hasn't brought it up.

Maybe I should confront him.

***

I spent all day Saturday playing with my new dog. After my mom came home from the vet and the pet store Hayes and I tried to teach her a bunch of new tricks like playing dead and fetch and she failed at all of them.

It's probably because she's still like eight weeks old. Maybe we should teach her something easier.

Today I finally got Margo to shake hands with me. I was super excited so I called Hayes to come and see.

We were in my backyard so I picked Margo up and ran to my room to call Hayes. Once I got ahold of my phone I punched in his number by memory and called him.

Hey, Jess. What's up?

"I taught Margo how to shake!" I squealed into the phone.

Really?

"Yes! Come over and see!" I said before hanging up. He was here within five minutes.

I met him down in my kitchen and we walked into my backyard.

"Here look," I said and kneeled down in front of Margo, holding out my hand in front of her.

"Margo, shake." She put her tiny paw on top of my palm and barked.

I squealed from her cuteness and picked her up to cuddle her.

"Good girl! Oh my God who's a cutie?" I cooed.

Hayes sat there smiling at me. Something seemed a little... off about him today, more than usual. I set Margo down and she ran around.

"Soo," I said.

"Soo," he mocked.

"I like you," I said casually. "And I'm pretty sure you like me. Why aren't we dating?"

His expression changed all of a sudden. He was calm, but now... I can't read his face.

"Because I don't want to," he said easily.

What?

"Oh... why?" I asked trying not to sound hurt.

"We just can't, okay? It would never have worked anyways. I don't like you like that."

"What, so everything you said to me, and everything we did... was a lie?" I said quietly.

"I didn't say that-"

"You sure? It sounds like you did," I accused.

"Look! We're better just being friends!" I shouted.

"How would you know? I was just fine knowing we liked each other, or used to at least, but you won't even give us a chance!" I shouted back. Good thing my parents are working.

"I didn't want to 'give us a chance' in the first place," I said with angry tears in his eyes.

My heart shattered as soon as those words came out of his mouth.

"We're better off as just friends," he repeted quietly.

I honestly didn't want to talk to him anymore. Or even look at him. But he was still my best friend so I had to do something.

"Alright." I rubbed my eyes and noticed they were wet. I realized I was crying the whole time.

"Alright, what?" He asked.

"Just friends it is," I responded. "Don't ever play with me like that again."

***

I just walked away from Hayes and I've been locked in my room ever since. I have no idea where he went after that and to be honest I don't care.

I really thought he liked me. I mean, he kissed me! And said he loved me.

I sighed and picked up my phone. I had a text from Aaron?

Last week while I was planning Hayes's party the boys and I exchanged numbers, since we were all getting along well.

I opened his text.

Aaron: Hey! What's up?

I responded immediately.

Me: Not much. Just moping around.

A: Aww you too?

M: ?

A: Hayes stormed through the door about an hour ago. He looked pretty upset. He was crying! I think it was about you... he's been in his room since then.

I don't care what that son of a- wait..

M: Wait? Are you still in North Carolina?

A: Yeah! The boys and I decided to stay the rest of the summer. Or at least until our next tour.

M: Omg! Yay!!  Let's do something!!!

A: Haha okay. Are you free tomorrow?

M: No I mean today. Like.. right now.

A: Movie night?

Yes!! I called my parents and asked if Nash Cameron and a bunch of other friends could come over for a movie night.

They said yes but we would have to be in the basement since we're gonna be pretty loud.

M: My parents said we could had it here!

A: Great! I'll tell the boys!

Umm... Not Hayes please?

M: Could you not tell Hayes? We're kind of... fighting.

A: Wasn't going to

***

Everyone would be over in about half an hour. The basement was already set up with food, drinks, movies, bean bags, blankets, EVERYTHING. I was super stoked.

I was wearing comfy grey sweats and a black tank top. I couldn't wait!

About 15 minutes later all the guys were at the front door. I heard Nash, Cameron, Carter, Aaron, Shawn and Matt. I let them in and we all ran down to my basement. Before we started the movie night we talked for a little bit.

"Why don't you want Hayes over?" Shawn asked me.

"He was being a jerk today so I don't want to talk to him," I replied.

"You know why he was crying?" Nash said.

So he really was crying. Look who just doesn't give a crap.

"No idea."

"We had to tell him where we were going, though," Cameron said. "I mean, we couldn't just leave him home alone."

Damn it.

"Oh..." Was all I could say.

"He didn't even try to protest or come with. Guess he knew you were pretty pissed," Carter said.

I nodded.

Then everything got really silent until Matt said, "So... I'm here for a fun movie night! Who's with me?"

We all nodded and agreed and Aaron popped a scary movie into the DVD player. He put on Devil's Due and we all got comfy in bean bags and on the couch.

I was sitting in the corner part of the sectional and Aaron was next to me. I had my legs resting on top of his. Shawn, Matt, and Carter were in the bean bags surrounding the couch and Cameron and Nash were on the other side of the couch.

We went through four movies before all of us eventually passed out.

I barely thought about Hayes that night.