Nine: The Phlogistonian

ابدأ من البداية

He nodded, not able to take his eyes off her and coming fully awake now.  "Uh huh.  And you?  I mean … like Hendrix said: are you ... experienced?"

She didn't answer directly.  "Whoever this 'Hendrix' is, I suspect he would instruct you to follow me inside this very instant."

Bantam did so.

Once inside, she leaped forward into his arms and they both collapsed into the bed, mouths clamped on one another, as Bantam tried to figure out how, exactly, a woman's clothes were removed in this world.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"THAT WAS wonderful and delicious," Rachelle said, rolling over at last after hours of lovemaking.

Bantam could only nod.  He was still catching his breath.  He couldn't believe how long they had.  "You're amazing," he finally managed to say.  "I thought Victorian girls were all prim and proper.  Where did you come from?"

She smiled.  "Why, I came from you, silly."  Bantam raised a brow.  "If it wasn't for you coming back in time, the Day of the Red Sun would have never happened.  My parents would have never met."

"That is a weird thought," Bantam said, truly digesting it for the first time.

"It is strange indeed.  To think!  Here I am with a man who accidentally caused my very existence!"

"Yes.  You were my accident," Bantam kidded.  He was rewarded with a flurry of tickling.

"You are so unlike any man I've ever met," Rachelle said with a new sparkle of wonder in her eyes.

"How so?"

"You're ... you're free.  You're not caught up in embarassment when you are with a woman.  You're a wild thing.  You must understand that is very rare in this world.  The men here … they are not as open as you."

Bantam smiled.  "Ah.  That's easy.  They simply haven't invented rock n' roll here yet."

"And what is -- ?"

"Never mind …"

With that, they spent another few hours together until they were utterly exhausted and into a deep sleep.

WHEN BANTAM awoke next, he saw to his surprised that Rachelle had a surprise for him: a tuxedo, complete with cane, top hat and cape.

Bantam laughed aloud when he saw it.  "Where did you get that?"

"This is only the most stylish hotels in the world, Mr. Bantam.  Just about anything can be had simply by asking the concierge."

Bantam eyed it.  "Will it fit?"

Rachelle giggle and snuggled up to him.  "I measured you as you slept."

“Hopefully I can figure out how to put it on.  All the odd clothes in this world are completely confusing.”

"Oh, but you do think us odd.  Don't you?"

"Yes.  All these twirly moustaches make me dizzy."

"What was it you called it in the hydrologics room?  'A crazy top hat world'.  Yes, that was it.  What exactly is so crazy about it?"

"Oh I don't know.  Everybody talks on eggshells.  You all fly around in balloons."

"But you like it," she grinned.