Chapter Fifty-Eight: The Verdict

Evelyn's POV

The papers were strewn across the giant mahogany table, which seemed all the more spacious after the Royal Court shrank from the aftermath of the Parity Clause. Ash's mother occupied one of the emptied chairs, resuming her former position in the court since her husband's passing. It was an unconventional reappointment, but met without protest. To my surprise, Annabelle continued to sit through these meetings despite the topic, which concerned the condemnation of her very own grandfather. I hadn't the chance to console her in between, but she seemed to be holding strong in regards to her countenance.

My attention shifted back to the local newspaper publications. The public opinions were split fifty-fifty, meaning that the decision we make today could possibly tip the scale to either side. While some of the paper praised Ash for a transparent and fair trial, other's preyed upon the shadow of doubt that Marcellus so articulately presented in court. It was clear that the public trust we attempted to cement with the library bricks had toppled over in an instant.

That looming cynicism concerned me to no end.

"We should follow in line with the law of the land and serve the outlined punishment for treason – death by hanging. It's as simple as that." A nobleman spoke from the end of the table.

"But that would mean settling the same ruling for," another spoke up before lowering their voice again, almost regretting his next words, "Lady Arabella."

Everyone at the table looked at the members of the royal family uncomfortably.

"Fear not, there will not be any discrimination between the defendants. They committed the same crime, therefore they will suffer the same consequences." Ash reassured them.

His mother agreed, although I could tell it was not an easy decision for her to make. After all, in what world, regardless of how despicable the human, would it be easy to condemn your mother-in-law or grandmother to death? No one would willingly opt to have such blood on his or her hands.

A caricature of Ash in one of the paper's caught my eye. I pulled it out and examined the cartoon, which ridiculed Ash's extended hand, ready to slap Marcellus, while the other was behind his back with crossed fingers. Upon closer examination, I noticed the stout, curled tail that sprung out from his behind.

Pigs.

His words were like acid, so I wasn't surprised that they were still burning in the backs of everyone's minds.

Annabelle's voice raised eyebrows as she made her own statement, "My opinions do not change from yesterday. I spoke nothing but the truth and would like nothing more than a fair decision. The man I knew as a grandfather," she took a breath, composing her shaky voice, "is no longer the same man that stood before us in court and should be punished for his actions accordingly."

Ash's mother placed a comforting hand behind her back and gave her a reassuring smile, proud of her bravery.

Ash dropped his hand onto the table, emitting a resounding thud that seemed to finalize his decision, "That does it, then. The criminals will be charged with treason and punished... according to tradition."

I could tell it was too difficult for him to mention hanging, being how gruesome it was.

Contrary to what people might have dubbed him to be based on his countenance, Ash was quite a pacifist. So, naturally, making such an extreme decision is nothing less than a shock for him. The pressure from the public didn't make this situation any easier.

He turned to face the head squire, "The decision can be revealed in the daily newspaper tomorrow. As for the executions... the earlier the better, before the public unrest gets worse."

Sir William spoke up from his corner, "I will make those arrangements."

Suddenly, the door swung open and a frantic chambermaid accompanied the guard inside.

Breathless, she managed to spit out a few words, "Lady Arabella... She's... you must come see!"