Chapter Fifty-Four: Exposed

It is recommended that you re-read "Chapter Thirty-Eight: Resistance" as a refresher prior to starting this chapter.

------------------------------------------------------------

The lively notes of the orchestra gallivanted through the air almost as enthusiastically as the people crowding the town center. The festivities were progressing forward at full speed and nothing was going to stop this beautiful scene of communal celebration. Even grouchy old Lady Arabella had come out of her secluded tent to witness the dancing.

"Ouch!" Ash muttered as I promptly removed my foot from the top of his.

"Sorry! The surroundings are a bit distracting." I gave him a sheepish smile.

He feigned a pout, "Pity that I only seem to gain your sole attention when we're completely alone."

"There's far too much happening right now, I wonder how the guards are keeping track—"

"Shh," he placed his pointer finger over my lips, "You're missing the rhythm, miss dance class topper."

I gave into the music, my feet matching the movements of his in perfect synchrony. His hold around my waist tightened as he pulled me in closer.

"The number of men who are eyeing you for the next dance almost make me want to never let go." He whispered into my ear.

I giggled as his breath tickled my senses, in more ways than one.

"Then don't." I answered simply.

"You might regret this decision."

I shrugged, "I think my decisions have led me down the right path thus far."

His vibrant smile lit up his entire face. Those deep blue eyes sparkled with nothing but pure admiration and I hoped mine reflected the same. The moon shined down brighter than the torches and lanterns that were lit around the perimeter. I looked around and saw familiar faces as Ash gently twirled me around. My family and friends, we were all together and happy. I breathed in the sweet and savory aromas of the food being served all around. Village children ran about with glee, some perhaps tasting the rich delicacies of life for the first time – the most impactful of these flavors on the palate being that of potential.

Everything was just... perfect.

Well, almost. I nudged Ash and I nodded towards Adele sitting in the corner, gazing longingly at Stephen Arden, who was in conversation with a few other gentlemen. He understood and pulled me away from the dance circle. As I approached the group of men, Stephen stepped forward with a warm smile.

"Your Highness," he bowed.

I offered him my hand, "Oh please, no titles between friends. Excellent job with the audit team, Stephen."

"It wouldn't have been possible had you nor Ash not taken the initiative."

I nodded with a smile as we entered the next dance.

"Speaking of taking initiative..." my gaze shifted towards Adele and Ash, who were dancing not too far away.

His eyes followed mine, the sight tingeing his cheeks a bright red.

He cleared his throat, "About that—"

"I don't mean to impose, but it's only polite to at least answer."

He looked away, "I fear I may not be the right match for her."

"How so? You are a Lord after all."