Biology Pt. 2

(Y'all I feature bilingual Race in this chapter and, being completely honest, I'm not bilingual. I'm trying my best, but if there's anything I can do to make it more realistic, let me know!)

The next day during lunch, Race elbowed Davey. "Ay, Dave, stop starin' at Jack an' eat your lunch. It's gettin' disgusting." 

"What, what do you mean?" Davey asked, jumping a little. He didn't realize he had been staring, and could only hope Jack hadn't noticed. 

"Ya know what I mean. I knows you like him." Race rolled his eyes. 

"Shhhh!" Davey covered his moth and pulled him away from the table. "How did you know?"

"Albert an' I tell each other almost everything. At least, we used to. Things still aren't what they used to be." Race shrugged. "But really, don't tell him something you don't want me to know." 

"Alright, well, please promise me you won't tell anybody." Davey bit his lip. Race rocked back and forth on his heels. "Race, promise me."

"It's a little late." Race admitted. "I told Spot the other day." 

"Race!" Davey yelled, drawing the table's attention. After everyone looked away, Davey turned back to Race. "Dude, really?" 

"Yeah." Race shrugged. "I'm sorry. Spot e io stavamo parlando and it just came out!" 

"Race, English, please." Davey begged. 

"I'm sorry, when I get stressed I forget English and revert back to Italian and it's been a bad day." Race confessed. 

"Well, what's wrong?" Davey asked. 

"It ain't important right now. But, Jack don't know, I swear." Race nodded. 

"You swear?" Davey checked. 

"Yeah." Race nodded. 

"Good." Davey sat back down, and went back to eating his lunch. The next period, in biology, they were doing a lab. Jack, Crutchie, Race, and Davey all crowded around the lab table, taking notes and measurements as they talked. 

"So, did you guys see the fight this morning?" Jack asked. 

"There was a fight?" Davey asked, his voice full of concern. 

"Yeah, why do you think Morris ain't here?" Race asked. "He got sent home." 

"Oh, fun." Crutchie mumbled, writing down a measurement. 

"Who was he fighting?" Davey asked. 

"Ah, some sophmore." Race shrugged. "I dunno his name." 

"Fun." Crutchie mumbled again. "Listen, is anyone gonna help with the lab or will it just be me?"

"Probably just you." Race admitted, pulling a candy cane out of his mouth. 

"Great." Crutchie rolled his eyes and went back to his paper. Davey tried to go back to work, as did Jack, but then Davey got distracted. He started to zone out, staring at Jack again. Once again, Race leaned down and whispered "Ay, Davey, stop your starin'." 

"Sorry." Davey whispered but he didn't stop. 

"Damn, Dave, you got it bad." Race whispered.

"Shut up." Davey rolled his eyes. 

"Never." Race went back to his candy cane, not focusing at all on his own lab. Davey wasn't exactly focused either. His work was almost done, and the lab wasn't due until the end of the period. As long as Jack didn't look up, he was fine. 

"Ay, Dave, when can you come over again and help me study?" Crutchie asked, calling Davey's attention back. 

"Whenever." Davey shrugged. 

"Does Saturday around one work?" Crutchie asked. 

"Yeah, probably." Davey nodded, sketching his graph a little now that he was out of his trance. 

"Great." Crutchie grinned, going back to his own lab. After a few moments, Jack started to get distracted. He started looking up and, before he knew it, he was drawing Davey instead of recording information. He looked up every now and then, sticking his tongue out as he drew. Race snapped his fingers in front of Jack's face a few times, trying to get his attention. 

"Yo, Jack, what's the word for the coppa?" Race asked. 

"The what now?" Jack raised an eyebrow. 

"The coppa." Race said again. 

"I don' know what that means." Jack pointed out. 

"Right, the uh, the thing. That holds the stuff." Race grabbed a beaker. "This." He shook it. 

"The beaker?" Jack asked. 

"That's it!" Race yelled, writing it down. The boys laughed, shaking their heads. About ten minutes later, Race was on his phone, probably texting Spot, and Jack had gone back to his drawing. He had brought out the colored pencils, and looked up every few seconds to make sure he was getting the colors right. 

"Ay, Crutch, what color are Dave's eyes?" Jack whispered to his brother. Crutchie looked for a minute, then turned back to Jack. 

"Brown, I think. Maybe hazel?" He shrugged. "I dunno, find out yourself." 

"I can't just stare into his eyes!" Jack complained. "That'd be weird." 

"An' drawin' him without him knowin' ain't weird?" Crutchie raised an eyebrow. 

"Ah shut up." Jack rolled his eyes. "I is an artist, let me draw." 

"You could at least tell him you is drawin' him." Crutchie pointed out. 

"At this point it'd be awkward." Jack shrugged. 

"Yeah, okay." Crutchie laughed a little. 

After biology, Crutchie and Race hung back a little. They watched Jack and Davey go, talking to each other, and took extra time to put their stuff away. After the other two boys were out of the room, Race turned to Crutchie. "Alright, we has to get them together." He got right to the point. 

"I know, I know." Crutchie nodded in agreement. "But how?" He asked. 

"I dunno." Race shrugged, pulling the candy cane out of his mouth again. "But it has to happen. I can't stand them staring at each other longingly anymore." Race stuck his tongue out. "It's disgusting." 

"That's what you and Spot were like before you two got together." Crutchie countered as the two left the classroom. 

"We was not like that!" Race defended himself. 

"Yeah, okay." Crutchie laughed. "But those two have to admit their feelings for each other." 

"They will." Race nodded. "They will." 

"Who else knows?" Crutchie asked. 

"Albert. Maybe Romeo." Race informed. 

"Well then, guess we're gonna work together." Crutchie said. 

"Yup." Race nodded. 

"See you after school on the bus?" Crutchie asked. 

"Yup." Race nodded again as he turned the corner, leaving Crutchie to make his way to his next class. As much as Crutchie didn't trust relationships, he wanted Jack to be happy. Besides, he trusted Davey. Neither boy would hurt the other, Crutchie was sure of it.