Broken

Flames ripped through the village like a tsunami engulfing everything in its path. A series of small fires merged to create one huge, red blanket of smoke, heat and light.

Overgrowth had covered everything. Rays of sunlight penetrated through the barriers of trees, allowing beams to reflect on the ground, heating up all nearby surroundings. Dust particles and small flying insects became unveiled as they passed through the transparency of the beams of light before disappearing back into the cover of shade. High pitched, distant chattering from creatures of some sort disturbed the tranquility of the otherwise peaceful atmosphere.

On this small plot of land, a single, half destroyed castle lay isolated amongst the dense forrest greenery. The strategically important stone walls that once surrounded the main structure had now been deduced to rudimentary rubbles of rock - now incapable of defending an attack from even the simplistic of foes. Parts of the roof rafters were absent, and others lay shattered on the ground beneath. The structure was frail, uninhabitable, and vulnerable to collapse with a stiff breeze, sealing with it the same fate the stone walls had previously suffered. Despite that, there was still a strong substratum of a solid structure. For one, the stone frame of the main building was virtually untouched. And a watchtower (along with one side of the roof) remained intact. Barely visible due to the besieging of the moss on the structure, the castle looked liked it had rested dormant for quite some time.