"Let me tell you a short story," he pauses for dramatic effects and I roll my eyes. I don't care for whatever he has to say but I suppose my opinion doesn't matter, it never has. "Once upon a time in the land of Enugu, coal city state, the Governor decided it was time to do away with the local market, the poor's livelihood. He wanted something fancy, a more polished and refined market."

His eyes light up in a silent rage, he throws his head back and I hug myself. "They gave the traders evacuation notice, they didn't care that they were ruining people's lives and it was their only means of survival."

Bitterness drips from his voice, I shake my head and let out a mirthless chuckle as he subconsciously taps the gun to his knee. Why won't he be bitter when he carries this much rage, hate in his heart? Over what?

"When the time was up and people had not packed, you know what he did?" He tilts his head to the side, expecting a reply from me.

"Do. You. Know. What he did?" he shouts at me and I force out a shaky no. That reply seems good enough for him because his lips curl into a toothless smile. "He continued with the demolition, not a care in the world for the people or goods. The contractor sent his men to the market, not only them, he sent the army. They sent soldiers to protect those demolishing the market." His fingers weave through his hair, his voice is pained when he says, "To protect the killers."

My eyes follow his movement as he drops the gun on the table to enable him run his hands over his face as if in disbelief over the actions of the contractor. On a different day, I might have felt something akin to pity for him but I don't, all I feel is deep hate and resentment. I stare at him with the same cold, calculated look he used to announce his entrance, waiting for the end of this tale I have been subjected to. I don't know what is yet to come but he deserves every bit of it.

"They watched as Bulldozers went on a rampage, reducing people's hard work and mighty storey buildings into piles of dust." His face takes on a forlorn look. "They didn't care for the worth of the goods, thousands and millions of naira, people's sweat, their daily bread. Anyone who dared to complain was shot. They were simply following orders, destroy every building in sight."

He lets out a bitter laugh as he jumps to his feet and stalks towards me. There is a tug on my heartstrings, I sigh and look down at my bare feet, I remember the incident, it happened in Nsukka, six years ago. Two years after the governorship election, the governor decided it was time to remodel the markets. We had been on a long vacation from school, I was in Enugu with my family, eating, adding weight and visiting friends.

I used to like going home to Enugu then.

What used to be called Ogige Market is now known as Ogige Mall, a beautiful plaza with a chain of other fun, different stores to satisfy curious minds and chase boredom. Some traders complained at first but they got over it, eventually. Money was given to the market union, the unlucky ones with wrecked shops were compensated. A lot of people never visit the mall, they claim it was built on the blood of innocents. Not me, I love their cinema. The Governor gave them two months evacuation notice before the demolition, they should have listened.

"What does that have to do with me?" I hate how apathetic I sound after being forced to listen to his incomplete sob story but it doesn't stop me from adding, "Why am I here? I wasn't involved in the destruction."

Annoyance crawls its way up my body as he stalks back to the desk. Confusion mars my features as I struggle not to point out how insane he sounds saying, "You hold the key. You are the missing piece of the puzzle."

I sigh. There must be something in the air here, that madness that seems to be making a round and it has finally caught up with him. The key? I shake my head and chuckle. The only key I know about is the one to my apartment and I am not sure I will be seeing it anytime soon if this insanity continues.