Chapter 18 - Resurgence

Start from the beginning

---------

Khushi had leased her apartment in New York for rent when she had left two months ago, and because she came back on such short notice, the people living there were not able to move out in time. They needed another week, so she had booked a hotel instead. But heavens knew that her best friend would never let her stay there, and so Khushi was stuck staying with the family instead. She was hesitant at first, mostly because it would look bad in the eyes of the elders. An unmarried girl, staying in the house of her...boyfriend? Wasn't it ex-boyfriend? Well in the eyes of most people, NK and Khushi were still a happy couple...

Anjali asked her to think of it as staying with her best friend, after all, it was the only relationship that was still intact in that house. The rest of the family had all but willingly agreed as well.

Would it be awkward? Khushi imagined so. But being away for a couple of months had given her leverage, she would no longer be that weak girl who relied on others. She had taken Sid's words into account and she was starting things anew...kind of. So she would be taking the guestroom for a week until her apartment was ready.

---------

Arnav Singh Raizada felt the joy radiating from within. He almost wanted to do some sort of happy dance. His Khushi was home after two long restless months.

Except...he was on a mission. So was there a real reason for being happy?

Well if Khushi was happy, so was Arnav.

As they continued to walk side by side, seeping through the crowd at the airport, brief uncontrollable gestures were exchanged by the two - hearts were beating fast, lips were curving in small smiles and hands were brushing lightly together as they moved along.

---------------

NK stood in front of his mirror, examining himself. How was he supposed to handle things? What if Khushi didn't listen to Arnav? What if she had moved on?

Whatever the outcome would be, at least Khushi would be near him.

He glanced at the bottle he held in his own hands. And effortlessly, he poured the remnants of the alcohol down the drain, pouring out his own indecent thoughts out as well.

His phone rang for the second time that day, as he let it ring continuously.

He already knew who it was, but he chose to look just in case. And of course, his intuition was right - Lavanya calling.

He let it ring, and headed over to his window as he saw the car pull up in the driveway.

She was here.

--------------

"HP, take Khushi's things inside" Arnav said as HP carried her baggage inside.

"I'm going to go prepare dinner! Khush, you must be hungry?" Anjali smiled.

"Yes, the food on airplanes is rarely any good" she said sheepishly.

"Of course not. Go freshen up and I'll call you down when the food is ready!" and with that, Anjali made her way inside, leaving Arnav and Khushi standing alone.

"Let's go inside, the family must be waiting for you" Arnav said softly.

Khushi nodded and followed him inside.

She was greeted by an eager and excited Devyani and Manorama. Arnav and Khushi both sat in the living room for some time, as Khushi caught up with the family.

"Khushi bitiya, how is your Buaji doing now?" asked Devyani.

"She's doing well, thank you for asking"