Chapter 12 - Proceed

The evening passed by in a haze for Khushi. One moment she was laughing with NK, the next moment she felt sick, and the next moment she was dancing with Arnav. What the hell was going on with her? Why couldn't she keep her emotions in check? She felt disgusting suddenly for admitting her feelings for Arnav, despite being with NK. She felt unfaithful.

NK interrupted her thoughts. "Khushi, are you ready to go? I'll drop you off at home" he said.

So he led her to the door, and she turned once before walking out of the house, only to meet Arnav's intense stare mimicking her own. She then turned and left.

---

Anjali watched the two of them carefully, and as soon as Khushi left, she decided to confront her little brother.

"Chote, I need to talk to you in private" she said seriously.

"Sure Di, let's go to my room and talk" he said. So she followed him upstairs, and she sat on his bed while he closed the door.

"Okay Di, what's up?" he asked.

"Why don't you tell me? What the hell is going on?" she asked.

"What are you talking about'" he said in a confused manner.

"I know Chote. I know everything" she said crossing her arms across her chest.

"I have no idea what you're talking about" he replied casually while removing his tie and shrugging off his expensive suit.

"Don't you dare try and play dumb with me. You don't know who you're dealing with! How could you?!? How could you do that to Khushi?"

"Look, if you're planning on lecturing me about that, you might as well leave. I know what I did was horrible. I know that I made a ridiculously stupid mistake by breaking her heart and letting her go. And I know that I'm making another mistake now because she's with NK and I'm still desperately holding on to her. But what do you want me to do? What can I do to make things better, huh?" he exclaimed. "I waited, 4 long years! You can't say that you haven't been witness to my empty state. You've seen me throughout these years, and how I've immersed myself in work only as a distraction because all I really think about is what an idiot I've been! And that's all everyone is going to tell me! You know I love her, and you know I've been waiting for her Di! Don't I deserve a second chance? I thought that out of all people, maybe you'd understand me" he said angrily.

"Look, I get it; you've realized your mistake. Maybe I shouldn't have reacted like that, but I just can't believe it'I know your side of the story, and I knew hers as well, but never in my life would I have thought they both stories were pieces to the same puzzle" she said astonished.

"How did you figure it out?" he asked.

"She'she told me" Anjali replied.

"She did?!? So if she can tell you, why can't she tell NK?' Arnav asked.

"What are you, crazy?!? No one is telling NK anything, not just yet at least. Think about Khushi's situation right now. She's in a total fix, and it's all because of you! We need to figure this out, and you're going to help me, samjhe tum?" she said very sternly.

"Fine. If this helps Khushi, of course I'm in" he said.

"Thank you Chote. Okay, so I understand that you guys have had this on and off sort of relationship throughout school? Mostly because you kept giving her mixed signals, right?" she looked up at her little brother for feedback. He sat on the recliner in front of her, and nodded.