Chapter 5 - Nostalgia

Arnav and Khushi were in the car about 10 minutes later; after Khushi bid the family a sweet farewell, and told them she'd see them soon.

"It's a left here" muttered Khushi, but Arnav paid no heed to her. "Arnav, you just missed the turn!" said Khushi confused.

"I know" was all he said.

"Where the hell are you taking me Arnav? I need to get home!" she exclaimed.

"Just shut up, and trust me" he said.

Khushi was beyond confused with his behaviour, so she did as told and shut up for the rest of the ride, trusting that he wouldn't do anything stupid.

About 15 minutes later they reached a place Khushi hadn't seen in ages, her favourite beach.

Flashback

July 2004

"Hey Arnav, come play volleyball with us!" yelled his friend Rohit.

"Yeah! It'll be so much fun, I promise Arnavv" said Aditti, a girl who was a little too fond of Arnav, with a sly smile.

He looked over to see Khushi sitting by herself near the shore of the beach, fiddling with a sea shell in her hand. Their grade 11 biology teacher had decided to take them on a school trip to the beach, and while the rest of the students were either playing volleyball or swimming in the beach or running around, there was Khushi who was sitting by herself looking more beautiful than ever. 'Forget about her Arnav! Why do you even care?' he thought to himself. So he joined the match, on a team with Rohit, Aman and a couple of other guy friends, against some girls who suddenly really wanted to play after Arnav's arrival. The girl's were always swooning over him, as he was just so handsome. Beautiful features, rugged body, athletic, smart, funny and a bit mysterious ' everything a teenage girl would look for in a guy. Every now and then, Arnav would glance over at Khushi, making sure she was still there and not just a figment of his imagination. After the match was over, Arnav excused himself, watching the disappointed look plastered on ever girl's face, and left. He didn't know what made him go, but his feet were being dragged towards Khushi and he didn't even want to stop himself. She was wearing a red sun dress, the sun shining down on her. Her hair, her skin and her eyes looked lighter. He thought that she looked like an angel. It wasn't that she was the most beautiful girl in the school, but she was definitely pretty...

She wasn't very popular, usually sticking to a small group of friends, limiting the fun in her life and usually studying. He was different, always at parties, out with friends, living life to the fullest. While he excelled in sports, she excelled in the arts. She loved to paint, or draw, and she was always humming or singing with her lovely voice. He loved to play, loved to compete. She was soft, gentle and caring, while he could be a total jerk, rarely caring about how others felt, and doing things the way he wanted. They were complete opposites, so why the attraction? Maybe because of that very reason.

He sat down beside her on the sand. She didn't even look over at him, as if already knowing that he would come. She kept fiddling with a sea shell, running her dainty fingers over it, sometimes smiling to herself as if remembering a good memory.

"Why are you sitting here by yourself?" he asked.

"Why not?" she replied nonchalantly.

"Well, everyone else is doing something, or with someone. And here you are'sitting by yourself. Why don't you join your friends?" he asked confused.

"I just wanted some time to myself Arnav, is that too much to ask for? Besides, I'm looking at these sea shells. Aren't they beautiful??" she asked, her eyes bright and excited.

"Yeah, I guess so" he said.

"You guess so? C'mon! Look at how they shine in the sun! So pretty, na?" she asked happily.

"Yes, you really are" he whispered to himself.

"What?" she asked.

"Oh, nothing. Yeah you're right, they are pretty" he said trying to cover up.

"Look at this one, it's my favourite" she said with a smile. It was a beautiful shell, dark, shiny and even a bit sparkly on the outside. And when you turned it over, it was a glittering white. As the sun shone down on it, you could see different colours forming as the rays bounced off the surface.

"The outside is nice, but always looks dark, and kind of mysterious. You really have to look close to see how sparkly and shiny it really is though. But on the inside, it's even more beautiful! Sparkling, and stunning. It reminds me of you" she said looking up at him sadly. "Maybe that's why I like it so much" she said the last part quietly, but he managed to hear. It was probably one of the most beautiful things anyone had ever said to him. And suddenly, without thinking or even realizing where he was, who was looking or even why he was doing it, he kissed her. He cupped her face in his hands and pressed his lips gently to hers, nothing rough or demanding, just simple and beautiful, marking their first kiss.

Khushi knew that Arnav had no feelings for her, but the way he kissed her made her question the thought. She was delighted, Arnav was her first kiss. And it was the best gift she could have asked for. She didn't want anything in return, but now she had a memory she would cherish for the rest of her life.

Flashback over

"I used to come here everyday after work, and collect sea shells. He pulled out a box she had seen in the car, and opened it. In the box contained several shells, of every colour, shape and texture. But one black and shiny one caught her attention the most. She was so shocked that she gasped out loud.

"Do you know why I come here Khushi? Do you know why I collect these, or why I kept the ones you liked?" he asked casually while they walked along the shore. "Because, they remind me of you. These shells, this place...Do you remember when we would come here everyday after school? And you would run around, laughing, singing, being silly'" he smiled, but his eyes were distant.

"Why are you bringing all this up again'? Why are you doing this Arnav? "

How many times had she asked him this question? But he had never been able to reply honestly, always covering up his emotions, and putting on a mask that hid his true feelings. No more of that, from now on he was going to be honest with himself and with Khushi. He had suffered the consequences and now he needed to get back what he had lost.

"Because I love you. I always have, and I always will"

"Don't say that Arnav, please don't say that" she pleaded.

"But it's the truth Khushi. I was running from the truth all those years back, but I've suffered and regretted and now I'm a changed man. Don't make the same mistake I did Khushi, don't run away from the truth" he said looking deep into her eyes.