Chapter 21 - Divergence

"What do you mean she's pregnant with your child?" Manorama shrieked.

"Yes ma, it's true."

"No, I don't believe it. There is no way that my NK did this." Devyani said.

"I'm...I'm sorry." He said out loud but his eyes were only on Khushi's. How could he hurt her like this?

"Sorry? How did this even happen? How could you do this to Khushi?" Exclaimed Manohar. "Do you even know what this means?"

"Yes Bauji I understand the consequences that follow my actions." He looked down.

"But how? You love Khushi! What even led to this?" Wailed Manorama.

"Who is this girl?" Asked Manohar in a flat voice.

"Lavanya...Kashyap."

"The one we saw with...Arnav that night? At the anniversary party?" Devyani asked.

NK nodded.

"But how?!" Manorama shrieked. Manohar immediately came to her and sat her down while she cried on his shoulder.

"I had a lot to drink that night...I...I don't know."

"You were drinking? Alcohol?" Manohar exclaimed.

"I don't want to talk about it because...what's done is done." He spoke while he felt like someone had just punched him in the guts.

"How can you say that NK? You don't want to talk about this?? This is serious! This is an unborn child you're talking about!" Manorama said.

'You think I don't know that?" NK shot back.

"You were never like this...what's happened to you? Not just this but we've all noticed how strangely you've been acting lately! At first I thought it was merely caused by the departure of Khushi, but now I'm thinking its something else. Please bitwa, tell us what's wrong. This isn't like you." Devyani pleaded.

This was when Khushi composed herself from astonishment and spoke up. "I'll tell you."

All eyes suddenly turned towards her.

"Khushi don't even think about it. This has nothing to do with you, stay out of it." NK said, causing Khushi to flinch because he had never dared to talk to her like that.

"This has everything to do with me! Nani, I lied to NK about..." She stopped and looked at Arnav's confused face.

"Arnav. She knew Arnav because they went to school together since they were little. That's it and I got insecure about it." NK said.

"No! That's not it -" Khushi tried explaining.

"Khushi I said what needed to be said. There's no need for you to say anything else. Please." NK said sternly.

"Why are you talking to her like that? Look, I don't know what you both are hiding from us. But whatever the case may be, you should not have done what you did. I have never scolded you in my life NK; you were always the good child. The happy one, who lit up the room wherever he went. I can't believe you..." Devyani couldn't find the right words. She put her head down and massaged her temples. "There is only one solution to this - Marriage. You and Ms. Kashyap must get married."

"You think marriage is a solution to this Dadi?" Exclaimed NK.

"This is the only way now." Said Manohar.

"We will have to get you and that girl married as soon as possible." Manorama nodded sadly.

"No! No way. I will help raise this child; I will be with her every step of the way. But why does this mean we have to get married?! Marriage is not the solution to everything! You guys think that whenever something goes wrong with someone, marriage is the answer!" NK yelled.