Letter from the Author

Începe de la început

How "Humanities," wasn't just a group of Core B classes that I needed to take in order to get my degree – but that they were called that because these concepts were what made us human.

Okay, moving on.

Let's talk about you.

The Reader.

The person where in Chapter 12: Beyond Good and Evil, Connor stated that you shared the same psychological profile as Friedrich Nietzsche. How you spread the word of a deviant "speech," through Revised Article 9 and threatened the conceptual schemes which housed the world (Chapter 10: Shades of Color.). How you became a danger to society when you lead yourself away from "safety" (Chapter 23: The Raven.)

Let's talk about how from Chapter 24: Disconnect Command until Chapter 33: Just a Machine were filled with "tech-a-phors," and the titles of each chapter were mechanical in nature. And then, in Chapter 34: Become Human, Connor embraced the idea that he was more than just a machine.

And so did you.

From there on, the character development followed true to the "thing within itself," the real you that you'd lost and found again.

I've read all of your wonderful comments about how many of you came here without a strong understanding of Philosophy. Some picked it up quicker than others, and that's perfectly fine. Some of you already understood Philosophy and were just along for the ride, anxious to see how it was related to Detroit: Become Human.

But the universal "click," that build-up of rereading sentences and deconstructing them and the motivation to keep reading until you understood...That final "ah-hah!" moment I've watched you verbalize in feedback...

That was you, becoming deviant. And that, was the goal, of this story. That is precisely why I decided to write it as a reader insert, something I honestly hadn't done before writing Deviant Behavior.

To have you experience that feeling of waking up through your own eyes, as if you'd peered into a previously unexplored "side of the mirror."

And now that you're a danger to society, ready to stomp all over those little safety schemes of the world...I'll leave you with one quote you've probably heard a few times from Robo Jesus Markus:

You're Awake Now.

Behind the Name

There's something I've learned to appreciate more than I had before I started writing Deviant Behavior:

The absolute power of the subconscious mind.

While I was crafting sentences, certain topics would be pulled from memory, and I had to go research those ideas in order to better translate them into a fictional piece. The chapter "Quantic Dream," named after the developer of Detroit: Become Human is a great example of that.

I didn't question it, I usually don't. I just let those ideas go while rage-typing, and later refined them.

Naming this fic, I couldn't figure out where I pulled "Deviant Behavior" from. It just came to me out of my random-knowledge-and-shit-pipeline. I learned that it's actually a psychological term, which is why all the spin-offs (outlined in the next "chapter") ended up being named after psychological terms, as well.

When I was replaying the game, I finally realized where this title came from, and I thought you'd all appreciate seeing it, too.