Divided We Ambush

Start from the beginning

CENTRAL: "All units, repeat, all units, I am opening a channel for the Commander. Patching through. Over."

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "Hmph...speak of the devil."

The lot of you held your breath, and a cough came through the comms.

Liera was holding a gun over Mayumi's head to your right. She cracked her neck, the nose of her weapon jostling up and down – but only in controlled increments.

L.LASTIMOSA: "Guess we're having too much fun if he's getting involved..."

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "Quiet."

Her shoulders bounced in a huff – not that you could see her face.

[CDR] A.MARTELLO: "This is Commander Martello to all units involved in Operation Para Bellum. Due to heavy scrutiny from the public involving violent actions taken against civilians in the field, you are to neutralize all immediate threats and return to Central Station, double time."

Chatter erupted along the line, quickly subdued by another broadcast.

[CDR] A.MARTELLO: "I understand you felt as though you had to do what was necessary, and that will be a conversation had between Captain Allen and I at a later date. Know that the rest of Michigan's task forces are with you in spirit, and remember..."

He sighed, and smacked his lips.

[CDR] A.MARTELLO: "The nation...the world, is watching."

A notification flashed on your screen.

[TRANSMISSION ENDED]

And it didn't take long for a new one to take its place.

A.MAYUMI: "Captain, we can't just kill unarmed protestors because those rioting assholes thought we were too hard on them."

C.GRENIER: "They threw a Molotov at us for crying out loud!"

J.COOPER: "Killing the androids won't rectify anything. We haven't even talked to them yet!"

S.TALON: "He's not even here, he doesn't-"

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "I said...quiet."

A horse snorted, a saddle jingled, and crunching boots approached from the back. The shadow of Chris's rifle disappeared, and a gentle hand landed on your shoulder.

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "Hold your position, Officer."

You looked up at him with a nod, gulping before turning back to Markus and the others. Captain Allen held a box-shaped microphone that was strapped to his uniform up to his concealed mouth.

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "You are to disperse immediately..." His voice trailed off, "Or there will, be consequences."

"We came here to demonstrate peacefully," Markus answered, "And to tell humans that we are living beings."

He didn't even hesitate. Didn't take a second to formulate a response. With someone of his stature, in his current position, he probably didn't need, or couldn't afford, the extra time.

"All we want is to live free."

Allen let out a sigh, so strong that you heard it through his helmet.

He, hesitated.

[CPT] D.ALLEN: "This is an illegal gathering. Disperse immediately, or we will open fire..."