The top of the hotel building comes into view, I eye it with the same admiration I did the first time and mentally prepare myself to see her. Her office is on the top floor, my human eyes can't locate it from here but I pretend she's on her laptop or sitting by the window, looking out and lost in thoughts.

Will she forgive me? I hope she can, I will treat her right this time. No more secrets.

"Have a great day, man," Chike says.

His deep voice pulls me out of my reverie, his hand on my shoulder feels heavy. I look around, we are here. "Yes." I get out of his car, bend over to say, "Thanks. You too."

I only realise where I am headed to when I reach the garage and can't find Ifunaya's car. She must have gone home instead. I head back to the reception area where Chi is talking to a man who she hands a bunch of keys. My fists clench and unclench when he winks before heading for the elevator. She is off limits. He and his bald, ugly self can enjoy the comfort of his room alone.

"Ifunaya," I heave a sigh and clear my throat, "I mean, Pauline, where is she?" I ask Chi, ignoring the fact she has resumed work already. I know better than to return to the kitchen without Ifunaya's approval.

She picks a key card on the counter, places it on a glass shelf behind her and returns to her seat without a word to me. I chuckle, the shocker would have been her replying me. Another customer approaches the desk, a female and she spends most of her time gawking at me instead of replying Chi's questions, much to both of our annoyance.

Chi lets out a sigh when the lady leaves, I pinch her cheeks and blink my unusually long lashes at her. She hates it when I do that, in her words: I am not cute and it doesn't fit me, I got lucky to have the lashes. I know she's jealous, she's the one who has to fix fake ones to match the length of mine.

"What do you want?"

I have a hard time keeping a straight face when she folds her arms on her chest, the childhood memories washing over me does little to help. Tickling has always been the remedy for an angry Chi but this is not the right place so I shove my itching hands into my pocket and settle for flowery words.

"My sweetheart," I start and laughter spills from me when her staid expression cracks.

"Please, I'm not your babe," she says and scowls. We stay in silence, I feel her anger dissolving, it never lasts. "You fucked up."

"I know and I am sorry. Forgive me, biko?" She scowls, I pinch her cheeks and a corner of her lips lift like she's fighting a smile. "I need your help, I can't have the two most beautiful women in my life fighting me."

She raises two fingers. "Me and mummy, what about Pauline? Is she not beautiful?"

It's my turn to scowl, she chuckles. "Okay, three. I don't want the three most beautiful women in my life fighting with me." Her smile grows, she nods as if satisfied with my statement. "Mind you, I spoke to mummy last month, we are cool." Not on the best terms but now we are talking, it's not the same story with him. She tilts her head to one side, I know what she wants to ask and I beat her to it, "Don't ask me about him."

"Okay." Her fingers drum on the counter. "Have you called her?" I nod and she sighs when I inform her Ifunaya isn't picking. "This is why you should have listened to me. I'm not just older than you, I'm wiser." She finishes off with a laugh, "I know things."

"Yes ma. Wise one," I mutter, it's her turn to shine. It doesn't matter that she is only older with less than ten minutes, I never hear the end of it. But if I mock her about her height, I will receive the silent treatment for a week. "You have not answered the question, what will we," I clear my throat at her glare and rephrase my statement, "will I do?"