A Crack of Light Between Two Periods of Dark

I had dozed off again, cuddled into Toshinori's form. He was too tired to protest my demands that he stay well-rested today, but he was wide-awake. I looked up with heavy eyes to see him scrolling through news feeds on his phone, texting Naomasa about the case, and liking funny pictures on social media.

I stirred to turn around, evidently awake.

"I didn't know you liked puppy videos." I yawned, laughing breathily.

"How can I not when they're this adorable?" I scrolled to a clip of a montage of a dog trying and failing to catch various foods in its mouth.

"Aw, he's just like you. I remember playing that game where you try to catch the popcorn in your mouth...You're not good at it..." I kissed his chin and giggled. "You can throw an earth-stopping punch, but can't catch food in your mouth."

Toshi huffed out of his nose, "It's funnier when it's a dog."

"Do you want a dog, Toshinori? I'm fairly certain we're allowed to have one on our lease..." I brushed my hand over some light stubble on his cheek.

He chuckled deeply, "I've always wanted a puppy, but it might turn out to be a little too high-maintenance considering we're both out until sunset some days."

I nodded, "Maybe after you retire. However far out that may be." I pretended that he might live to see it, smiling in spite of the sadness that thought brought me. "Put it on your retirement bucket-list."

He snickered, "A perfect hobby." He placed his phone down on the nightstand, engulfing me in a great hug. I spun around to face him, humming and shutting my eyes again.

"You're so warm, sunflower." My hands latched onto his shirt.

"It's warm in here, too..." He brushed his hair out of his face, leaning his head down to kiss me.

I happily obliged, pulling myself closer to him. I played with his hair, enjoying the closeness of my husband.

I loved him so much. Everything about him was perfect in my eyes, no matter what form he was in. That golden hair, his crystalline blue eyes, and his pure heart. He was the true one for me. Regardless of everything we've been through, who he is, what he does...I always remembered the day he stumbled into my little shop and saved me as the moment I met my soulmate.

I pressed myself even closer to him if that was possible. My hands wrapped up around his back, lightly tugging at the back of his shirt. Oh my god, did I want him now... I hope he wanted it as well.

My fingers brushing against the skin of his upper back made him shudder, his hair standing on edge in the most pleasant of ways.

Morning sex was something we rarely indulged in. Maybe when we were younger, but it was almost always an evening to ourselves or the nights of our anniversary or birthdays. I knew what he liked for sure by this point, using it to my advantage.

Toshinori gasped softly as I nibbled on his bottom lip, a smirk tugging at the corners of my mouth. His grip tightened on my waist, bunching up my clothes. I was turning him on with my gestures.

I grinded my thigh against his crotch, a sharp groan escaping his mouth as he pulled away from the kiss for a breath of air.

"Y/n, is it really wise to...to do this after yesterday? You're not hurting at all, right?" He caressed my mid-back, wondering if my previously broken ribs were properly healed.

I nodded, "Recovery Girl said I was healed...Everything feels alright. How about you?" I pressed my leg in a little more, noticing how aroused he was growing by the second.