Lion

February 17, Melanie's 17th birthday. My daughter no longer a child,  became a grown woman. I promised her that I'd allow a party and she had behaved so well lately, well actually, she always was a peaceful girl. I began to think about the night last week. Where did she get that necklace from?

As I set the party decorations Melanie walked downstairs. She went up to me and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. She hadn't shown me this much affection since she was eleven. Not that she was ever distant, but she was always busy doing teenager things, and maybe I was too busy doing adult things.

"Can I talk to you?" She said and sat me down at the dining room table. We remained quiet for a while until I broke the silence.

"What is it?"

"I'm seeing someone." She blurted out.

"Well, this is good. I'm glad you trust me. What's his name?"

She paused for a second before answering. 

"Alex, I'll introduce you two at the party."

5 hours later.

"Mom, have you seen my necklace?"

"What necklace?"

"It's a small tear-shaped diamond, Alex bought it for me. Have you seen it?" 

As she said that I thought of the possibility that maybe Alex had bought her the thong as well. 

"No, but I've got something better for you," I answered and handed her a pearl necklace that my mother gave to me and her mother to her.

"What's this?"

"My mother gave it to me and now I'm giving to you. I was supposed to give it to you on your wedding day but I can bend some rules."

"I don't think I'm gonna get married."

"Well, of course, you're gonna get married!" I shouted making Melanie flinch.

"Mom, I just don't think it's gonna be possible in this day and age."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm trying to say that I'm-"

Her words were interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. 

"We will continue this conversation after the party," I ordered as the door opened to a couple of kids from Melanie's school. After a good 30 minutes, the house was practically full.

"Melanie!" I shout then bring my voice to a casual whisper when we meet in the backyard. "Why didn't you invite any of your church friends?"

"I don't have any church friends."

"What about Justin and Luzy?"

"They are really rude to everyone. They don't even treat the pastor right."

"Now, Melanie. That is not true, don't lie, you know it's a sin."

"And so is pulling out." She answered with a sassy tone.

"Why, Melanie!"

"What? It's true." She looked at me in the eyes. "All I'm saying is that those two are rude and-"

"You're being rude!!!" I shouted, grabbing the attention of everyone who was in the backyard. "I'm going upstairs."

It wasn't long until Melanie opened my door, in my mind, there was hope for an apology but instead, I got, "There is someone I want you to meet."

I walked downstairs and noticed a girl with dark hair and green highlights, a typical teen rebel. I used to be quite rebellious during my youth as well. I took a cup of punch and sipped some before starting, I was quite parched from the argument we had had earlier.

"Mom, this is my girlfriend."

It took me a while to remember that it was common to use that slang. "Waddup girlfriend?" I say with my best teenage impersonation. Michael, who was over by the karaoke, snickered loud enough for me to hear.

"No, mom, this is Alex."

As she said that my hands trembled and the cup fell spilling all the purple liquid across the floor. I made my way to the karaoke machine in the living room, there was a young looking boy singing some sort of song about a serpent and I pushed him out of the way.

"Hey!" He exclaimed.

I ignored his irritating voice and clutched the microphone. "Testing, Testing," I muttered. "Everybody shut up! The party is over!" My voice was raised loud enough so that even the neighbours could hear. "Leave, now!" There was commotion between the guests as they decided whether to head for the door or not. "Now!" I commanded.    

In five minutes the only people left were Melanie, Michael and I... and her.

"Ma'am..." She began.

"Please leave."

And so she did.

"Mom-" My son approached me.

"Michael, go to your room."

"No!" He disrespectfully replied. I raised my palm and smacked him across the face.

"Don't disobey me, now go."

"You didn't have to hurt him," said Melanie, tears slipping down her face. 

"Shut up, you-you..."

"Mom, I'm your daughter."

"No! My daughter is not a sinner."

Psalm 37:8

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.