Ch 31: A game

18+ Content.

•••

Nathan

Midnight had ticked nearly an hour ago, but my mind was at the verge of madness long before that. There was a clear image in my mind that had caused my blood to turn thicker with rage and my heart to pound wildly against my ribs.

It was an image of Kristin, of course.. But what caused my soul torment and set my blood boiling was the fact that de Marco was beside her. Had been, throughout the entire evening. Beside her, close to her, damned compelled by her. How he won his poker game and dared pull her close.. Dared kiss her cheek.

The door clicked closed behind me. Senseless anger swirled through me, moved me, clenched my fists in all that rage. The urge to hold her, punish her, pleasure her, possess her.. It was what controlled me at that point. Tonight, I would be greater danger to her than de Marco could ever pose.

And it wasn't the wine. That was only an excuse she had found for me, convincing herself that I'd perhaps act rationally, wasn't it for the alcohol. An absurd thought, truly. Because we both knew that only she could be blamed for this obsession of mine.

All those years away from her.. They had changed something between us. All that wanting and yearning she'd kindled in me.. It left me a bit mindless.. A bit lost.. Wandering the corridor in the middle of the night as if enchanted by a midnight temptress. As if led by a siren's song.

There I was, wrapping my hand around the knob of her door and turning it. With a slow screech, the heavy wood was pushed opened. Damn it, Kristin. Why hadn't you listened? Why hadn't you locked the damned door?

  I stopped; closed my eyes to gather my thoughts.. To tame the frustration and the burning want in my chest. And then stepped inside. Once I was in her room, I felt the memories rush through me with a pang of nostalgia. The room was the same as it had been almost nine years ago.. And so was Krissy.

  I found her sitting there in front of her large vanity mirror, all that hair of gold and bronze tumbling down her back in waved locks. She knew I was there, but kept her focus on her own reflection for a second, giving me the time to admire that splendid profile of hers..

  The way her lashes curved, the way her little nose was up-turned and how her lips were a coral pink.. Hell, her skin glowed and made me wish to trace every inch of it with my lips. The swell of her hips was emphasized in those ivory silken shorts, and she effortlessly dared a wave of desire to rush through me at the mere look at her.

"I told you to lock your door." My voice filled the silence with some dark strain that only proved of the anguishing resistance I managed to hold onto.

"I chose not to." She placed her hair brush down and glanced at me. I closed the door. "For a moment, I thought you wouldn't come."

  She was on her feet then, slowly approaching, and the gleam of mischief I saw sparkling behind her eyes left me glued on my spot.. Left a part of me struggling to stay in control and not rush her to that bed right then. It was a mistake. I never should had entered her room.

  Something about the way her hips swayed, luscious and round against those silken shorts, the way her breasts tightened her shirt, threatening those buttons open.. Something dark about those green eyes and that devilishly crimson mouth..

  It awoke something barbaric inside me, made me want to reach for her, pull her to myself and devour her. A wicked, wild desire I had pushed back for too damned long.

"Kristin." A plead, a beseech for mercy as she stopped in front of me. "Trust me, you don't want this."

Those wide eyes drooped with some craving I wished I didn't recognize.. Her hands pressed against my chest and a growl of disapproval escaped some dark place in my chest. Perhaps it was a result of her touch, after all.. Of lack of resistance.