Ch 10: Bloodless

Nathan

It was all settled. The night had fallen. And the plan was clear. We had went through it at least three times since the morning. I had high expectations of my crew. With some I had worked many times. Charles I had right beside me, Noel was of course joining us there, at the warehouse where Torres was keeping his current victim.

I considered seven a lucky number. So there were seven of us. In my car, I had Charles, Bill and Mike, one that was still a cugine, and as I liked to think, smart enough to stick on our side. The amateur boy that had spied for Torres now had learned his lesson. He knew which side survived. Torres was going down, that very night. And Mike, his former spy was our bate.

"Are you certain we should meet Noel there?" Charles was saying, but I was barely paying attention.

I was going through the plan in my head one last time. This needed my full focus. If Torres survived the night, there would be war. We had to cut the very root, and that was Michael himself. That night was the only chance to end him. Only that night.

Mike interrupted with questions of his own. "What if something goes wrong? What if they catch them?" I snorted in annoyance. Of course it was Mike's first mission, but I brought him so that he could see his old master get killed, ended. He shouldn't have doubts in our plan. "What if— what if they kill me?"

"They won't kill you. Michael might try, but he won't allow that. You'll have a message to deliver." I assured him, having questioned him earlier again.. Apparently Michael Torres had seen potential in the boy. I saw it too. So I took him for myself.

It was best to take a spy and make it yours than make an enemy that would bite in the ass later.. "Just stick to what I told you, alright?" I looked him in the mirror as I took the last right. "What do you have to do?"

"Walk inside, get to the main hall and tell Michael I'm sent to deliver a message.."

"Yes. What then?"

"I distract him. I tell him I found his location after getting released by contacting Alex, one of his guards." Silence fell over in my car. I nodded my head. "Won't he assume that I've confessed everything to you? I wouldn't be alive if I didn't, would I?"

"True. Michael will know you've confessed. He'll know that's why we released and he'll be angry. And you're right, he'll probably try to kill you after you deliver the message." It was best for him to be prepared for the worst. The old road was dark, but I couldn't turn the headlights since we were incognito for the night.

Before Mike could start panicking, I met his eyes in the mirror. "But I'll be there by then. We all will. We've got your back. It's not you that's dying tonight."

"Do I— do I say that the don sent me?"

"No. The capo. If you can't remember that, then just say my name." Then after a minute since he didn't say anything: "You do know my name, right Mike?"

"Yes. Boss." Now that was the stupidest thing he had said so far. I heard Bill and Charles laugh.

"It's Thorn, you little fool." I grinned at him in the mirror. Thank goodness he was in safe hands. "Say that Thorn sent you."

He nodded his head; the wounds on his face somewhat healed from the cure they put on him, but there were still bruises here and there.. It had been two days since the last time Charles' men beat him for information.

I almost broke his nose that day as well, but that had nothing to do with him.. I probably should've apologized for that spill of rage. Still, thankfully, the boy had no bones broken, only cuts and bruises.. Enough to send the message.