Chapter 1: Katie

-<=> One Day Before the Incident <=>-

I sat up groggily, then tried to clean out my ears. I had heard a muffled, feminine voice in my room, but I couldn't identify it. I rubbed my eyes, then got out of bed to see who it was.

Then the voice spoke again, becoming clearer to me: "Come on little missy, the Annual Kanto Seafaring Competition is tomorrow." It was my mom. She stood in my doorway, leaning against the wall with her thin arms folded. She had her everyday jeans on, as well as a simple blue t-shirt featuring her favorite Water-type Pokémon: Vaporeon. Her black, sleek hair was pulled into a basic, yet stylish, ponytail. Her deep brown eyes and happy smile seemed to sparkle with youth. Her face was tanned from days she spent with my dad and me on the beach. Her rosy cheeks were responsible for her name: Rose. My mom just turned thirty-six two weeks ago.

"Katie, we need to get ready for that competition, so let's make the most of today. You can start by getting changed into some decent clothes," she gestured to my, wrinkly Magikarp pajamas I wore to bed last night.

I nodded sleepily as I trudged towards my dresser, pulling the top drawer open. I pulled my Magikarp shirt off and tossed it into the laundry bin. I then selected a neatly folded green and blue striped t-shirt featuring Squirtle and unfolded it to—

'Good morning, Master Katie. How are you...' I turned around, my face beet red, then stomped over to the door and slammed it shut. The Lucario that was in the doorway wore a surprised—and embarrassed—look on his face. There was also a hint of shame, although the Pokémon was too prideful to admit it. But, when he isn't serious, he's a real prankster.

"Roku! You should know better. Next time, knock!" I shouted through the door. Roku was the pokémon that my cousin from the Sinnoh region gave to me when I was ten. Better than getting a Starter Pokémon from Professor Oak, in my opinion (I had still received a Bulbasaur from the professor).

'Sorry, master Katie. I will remember next time,' Roku spoke to me through his Aura. If I remembered correctly, he called it Aural Telepathy or something like that. It was an interesting thing and apparently a rare ability that few Lucario had. I pulled the shirt over my head when I realized that It was probably best if I took a shower first. Otherwise, mom would get mad at me.

I dashed into the bathroom, shut the door behind me, and took off my clothes. Then, I stepped into the tub and pulled the knob outward. The shower head came to life and sprayed a stream of freezing cold water at me. I yelped in surprise and turned the knob to the left, making the water more bearable. Satisfied with the warm temperature of the water, I walked into the water, allowing it to get my body wet. My damp black hair hung down to the top of my shoulders. Beads of water dribbled down my thin body as I grabbed a bottle of body wash. I stepped out of the water, opened the bottle and squeezed a gob of the body wash onto the palm of my left hand. I then spent the next minute lathering it around my body.