IV - Amber

IV - Amber

am·ber\ˈam-bər\
noun
a variable color averaging a dark orange yellow

🍁

Noah never really liked romantic movies but he saw his mom watched it once. And he hated it so much. He hated how the main guy in the movie would stare stupidly at the main girl as if she was the center of the universe for him. It was absurd and ridiculous. But no matter how much he chastised himself that he's acting like the main guy from the movie he accidentally watched, he couldn't bring himself to stare away from her.

As they walked with the shitty broken lamps the street got he would occasionally stare at her but when she glanced at him he would avert his eyes as if the squirrels getting it on at the top of the tree is something spectacular to watch. He cringed. Horny creatures.

When she looked away, he was back to staring at her. He didn't know if she knows that he was studying her or if she was oblivious to it. He was too shameless to care.

She wore thick rimmed glasses that hid her amber eyes. They were like small pools of honey and Noah was almost desperate to put a spark in there, to see her ignite. She was small. She has to be 5'4'' or somewhere around there. She was wearing a school uniform, must be from a private school. But no matter how covered she looked, Noah noticed she got all her curves right. But it wasn't right for him, she was doing nothing and he felt seduced. Fuck. He thought. He looked away then and released a breath he didn't know he was holding. In other words, with all the stupid stares he gave her, she was simply breathtaking. That was a word Noah thought he would never use. No one ever attracted him. Ever. His mom told him once that if he was gay she would still accept him he just need to come out of the closet, she said. But Noah, although there's nothing wrong with being gay or bisexual was as straight as this girl's ruler poking out from her leather backpack.

Noah had always been observant. And he instantly knew that she's innocent and naive. He liked the former but he was worried about the latter. She's really shy too and is not the most confident person Noah had met. And he didn't like that. It was like he wants to stay by her side, convince her everyday that in his 22 years of life he had never seen someone so beautiful, someone who looked so pure, someone who looked like she loved all the good and bad, someone who looked like a dream. God, he really must be going out of his mind. He massaged his nose bridge with all the consuming thoughts running around him. The girl beside him was oblivious though, not knowing what was happening to him. How in an instant she had managed to trespass his thoughts.

They stopped under another broken lamp post, Noah assumed what with the flickering light.

"Here we are." She told him.

"This is your house?" He asked his eyes scanning the flat and the area around it. Aside from the shitty lamp posts that obviously needs to be replaced, the area looked quite safe. Their gates had heavy locks. He observed.

Noah noticed for a moment that she looked skeptic and wariness filled her face. She was like an open book. And he realized then that he hadn't said his name.
"My name's Noah." He saw her staring at him like he just read her mind. "And no, I didn't read your mind. Your face is too obvious." Amusement was laced in his tone as he looked at her. He didn't know what came over him. He could just told her his name was N but no, he has to be a pussy and decided then and there that he should tell her his real name. But oddly, he liked knowing she knows his real name. No one ever really called him Noah except his mother.

"Oh." She said softly. It was silent for a moment as if she's thinking what to say and then...

"Uhm, hi Noah. I'm Jess. Short for Jessica. I'm 19 and I hate Math." She's awkward too. He noticed. Jessica. He smiled. She's too adorable. And he liked his name on her lips. She looked at him and he quickly wiped the smile off his face. What was wrong with his mouth? First, it wouldn't stop talking to her and now it's smiling. He was never one to start a conversation nor the one to keep it going, he was quiet and hell he never smiled since 6th grade. "Thank you back there. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't know what would happen to me." She thanked him sincerely.

He looked at her seriously then. The flickering light from the broken lamp post cast a glow to the both of them. Noah struggled to find a word that could describe her. Anything he thought of was too mediocre. Too bland. Gorgeous? No. No matter how people perceived the word to be a compliment Noah thought it would almost be an insult if it's thrown at her. The moon joined the party Noah thought, it had been there for forever but he didn't notice he was too busy staring at her, the moon might even know that. The moonlight casted a glow and it made her look like bliss, she looked like hope against all the many demons that could lurk around the darkness. She looked like redemption itself. She was too beautiful and she didn't have any idea about it. Noah never had a crush on someone, is this what it feels like? He asked himself. He sounded like a pussy. Whipped for someone he doesn't even know.

"You're welcome." He said after a little while and they didn't notice but they've been staring at each other for moments.
"I should go." He coerced himself to speak. He should really go right now or else he wouldn't be able to, he thought.

"Oh, right." Her voice was soft. Like a gentle calling of the birds on a sunny morning. Did he just compare her to a bird? "Sorry for the trouble. I hope you get home safe. Thank you. Bye." She said in a rush.

Noah was about to tell her it wasn't any trouble to him or that she wasn't any trouble to him but the girl leaped and ran away like he had a contagious disease and she had to get away from him as soon and as far as possible. It didn't make him mad though, he looked at her gate and smiled, an amused one.

He shook his head and with one last glance, walked away from her flat. He didn't know he was smiling. What he did know is that a certain amber-eyed beauty will occupy his mind starting now. He planned on seeing her again no matter how impossible it may seem. She goes home at night while he treats night as his best friend roaming the streets looking for chaos. They didn't even know each other. They were total opposites. He sighed. She will never like him. Quite impossible, really.

With heavy footsteps he walked, when a thought crossed his mind. He just remembered his mom actually wanted him to buy eggs. Apparently they ran out of it. And he remembered he had actually bought the eggs. He just had to get home. He scratched an invisible itch on his head. Which made him remember or rather forgot earlier, where the fuck was his bike?