Chapter 5

Two moons dragged on since her parents' deaths. Needlekit lay in her nest, flexing her claws. She was three moons old now, and for these past two moons, she refused to play with her littermates. They all thought that it was because of their parents' deaths, but it wasn't. Needlekit jerked her ears up when she heard the call of Miststar, "Let all cats gather below Lowbranch!" Needlekit rose to her paws, and padded over to the clearing. "Today, we celebrate three cats." Three? Needlekit thought in surprise. There are only two apprentices! Miststar continued: "Swallowpaw, Eaglepaw. Step forward." The two excited apprentices took a few steps towards the Lowbranch, looking up at Miststar. "I, Miststar, leader of IvyClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down upon this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn."

Swallowpaw took a step forward. The excited apprentice's eyes gleamed.

"Swallowpaw," Miststar continued, "do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." Swallowpaw sounded as if she was trying to contain her energy.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Swallowpaw, from now on you will be known as Swallowlake. StarClan honors your energy and kindness, and we welcome you as a full warrior of IvyClan."

The ceremony went on, and Eaglepaw became Eaglewing.

"Needlekit, step forward."