no place like home

"Do you think she'll like this one?" Brad asked you as he held up a black and white cotton dress.

Brad's family had invited you to spend Christmas with them, and it being December 23rd meant that you had started your Christmas present shopping a little too late. Of course, you both had already gotten presents for each other, but since his parents had invited you over on such short notice, you had to hurry to go buy them some presents.

You were almost done, only missing his sister Nat's present. You've wondered around countless of shops the entire day looking for gifts for his family, and since it was winter, it was bound to get dark pretty soon.

"Mhm, I don't know," you trailed off as you examined the dress. "Doesn't really fit her style, does it?"

Brad gave the dress another look with furrowed eyebrows before sighing heavily and mentally cursing himself, and you could easily tell he was growing frustrated.

"You're right," he grunted. "I'm bloody gonna go insane."

You took his hand in yours and gave it a little squeeze, hating to see him so upset over something so small. You got closer to him and pecked his lips a few times until a smile took over his face.

That's better.

"Relax, babe." You whispered soothingly against his lips.

"Finding a present for my own sister shouldn't be this hard." He vented.

"I know," you said as you sweetly caressed his hand. "Why don't you get her a book? She loves reading."

"She's read a shit ton of books." Brad countered. "I'll most likely get her one she already has."

"Now you're just being negative," you chuckled, trying your best to lighten his mood. You hated seeing him so frustrated. "Let's just give it a shot, eh? I'm sure we'll recognise a book from her bookshelf, we just have to make sure she doesn't have it." You encouraged him, slightly tugging at his hand so you could leave the clothing store. "And we can always text your mum for reassurance."

"Fine," Brad agreed with a nod of his head as he held your hand tighter and guided you to the nearest bookstore.

As you strolled past the many stores, you noticed how it started to get colder by the second, making you shiver a little. Brad took notice of this and pulled you closer to his body by tugging at your hand. He let go of your fingers before wrapping his arm around your body and running his hand up and down your arm in an attempt to bring you warmth. You tilted your head up to meet his eyes and gave him a sweet smile, slightly wrinkling your nose. Brad smiled at you and pecked the tip of your nose before pressing a kiss against your forehead. You walked a few blocks like that, his arm wrapped around your shoulders while his hand ran slowly up and down your arm, and your left arm hugging his waist tightly.

Once you got to the bookstore you started searching for the perfect book to get Natalie. You browsed through what felt like hundreds of different books, and even had to give Brad's mum a call —because you can never be too sure. But you've finally found a book that you were both certain she'd love and didn't own. You even got her a pop socket for her phone as well, you faintly remembered her saying she wanted one and when your eyes landed on the few that were on display while you were queuing to pay for the book, you thought it'd be a cute little addition to her gift.

Now you were walking past the stores again, hand in hand, ready to head home. It was starting to get dark, and therefore, colder.

"You cold?" Brad asked as he pulled you closer to his body.

"A little," you replied, although anyone could easily notice your body shivering.

Brad stopped on his tracks and stood in front of you, taking your hands in his and guiding them to his mouth so he could blow air on them. You gave him a smile and he repated his actions a few more times to then rub your hands together to keep them warm.