summer

The gentle music playing through the speakers managed to ease your pounding headache. Sighing, you placed your glass of water on the table and excused yourself before heading towards the bathroom.

There's nothing in this world you hate more than family parties. You were fine with small, intimate family gatherings, but when it comes to big parties —the ones where you have to go fancy dressed and there's family members you'd never met before— you'd much rather be in hell.

Examining your reflection in the mirror, you made yourself swear you'd get through this night. It was only about eleven, so you still had plenty of suffering to go through. Your aunt on your mother's side was celebrating thirty years of marriage with her husband, Kyle. And of course, they threw a big party, inviting their family as well as their friends. There were plenty of people who you've never seen before, so you just assumed they were Kyle's friends and relatives.

Although you didn't want to, you got out of the bathroom and headed back to your table, not wanting to dance. Just as you closed the door and started walking, you stumbled with a body and mentally cursed yourself. Why do I always have to be this clumsy in social situations?

You turned your head to apologise the owner of the shoulder you just knocked, but stopped midtrack as soon as your eyes met his face.

He was definitely someone you have never seen before, so you immediately assumed he was there because of Kyle. His brown curly locks fell onto his face, slightly covering his eyes. You took a few seconds to analyse his facial features before deciding that he was completely gorgeous. But the thing that intrigued you the most were his eyes. His big, chocolate brown eyes that were looking down at you with a touch of concern. You couldn't help but find them oddly familiar.

Dear God, those eyes. Where have I seen them before?

"Sorry about that, love." His voice took you out of your trance and you made a huge effort trying not to show how much the pet name affected you. "I should've looked where I was going."

You stood there without saying a word, still trying to figure out where you've seen those goddamn eyes. A few more seconds passed without a word being spoken and you shook your head, trying to bring yourself back to the real world.

"Don't worry, I wasn't looking where I was going either." You replied, struggling to find your voice.

"I guess we're good, then?" He asked with a raised brow and a sided smile. You just nodded, not knowing what else to say. "I'm afraid I've never seen you before. Are you a relative of Kyle's?"

You frowned slightly. Why in hell would I be his relative? If anyone here was related to Kyle, it had to be him.

"Uh, no." You began, being extremely careful with your choice of words, not wanting to sound like an idiot. "I'm Mary's niece."

"Oh, I see. So you're Jake's daughter?" He asked again and you were surprised when he mentioned the name of your uncle. Why does he know so much about your family, yet you've never met this man before?

"Nope, that's my uncle. I'm Pam's daughter."

He nodded and not long after, realisation hit his eyes.

"(y/n)? I'm Brad!" He exclaimed, as if that was supposed to ring any bells.

You were surprised at the sound of your name leaving his mouth. So he definitely knows who you are, and that could explain why you find his eyes so familiar. But you still had no recollection of him at all.

At the sight of your confused expression and furrowed eyebrows, he added; "my mum was best friends with yours. We used to hang out all the time when we were younger, remember?" Of course, that's why he was so familiar.