Twenty Nine

Thumps sounded on the other side of the wall, the body I assumed to be Severus hit the foggy glass wall six times. Negini was striking him, injecting him with her deadly venom. He only had minutes to live. We could hear his staggered breathing and then my father apparated. The four of us rushed into the room. Harry moved to one side of him, and I to the other. I quickly pulled my wand, placing it to his neck. 

"Vulnera Sanetur." The blood stopped pouring from his neck, though Harrys hands hand already been covered in it. I dropped my wand to my side as he addressed Harry. "Take them." He motioned to his tears. "Take them all." He was referring to his memories that escaped him with each fleeting moment. I knew his tears were not out of sadness, but out of pain. As he spoke to Harry, I worked on getting his shirt unbuttoned so I could see where Negini had bitten him. 

"You have your mothers eyes." He whispered hoarsely before turning to me. His hand placed on my cheek and I fought the tears that flooded my eyes.  Blood stained my hands as I held pressure on his wounds from the snake. Harry and his friends had left me alone with Severus now. 

My eyes wandered over his body as I tried to think of anything and everything to save my husband. There were six bites and the venom was spreading quickly. His hand moved down to my locket, taking it in his bloody fingers. "I knew you wouldnt stay behind." He rasped out. Sevs breathing had become slower. 

I thought back to the night he had given me this necklace. 

"It means to heal,"

"Youll know when to use it." 

I looked down to his hand, quickly taking the locket in my own and opening it. The small heart opened and all I could see was a cork. I tilted my head, quickly pulling it. A vial began to emerge from the locket. He had placed an expansion charm on the locket. I quickly uncorked the potion, placing it to his lips. He drank it, sputtering a bit, but he got it down nonetheless. 

I watched as his wounds all closed now, the purple bruises starting to fade. His body returned to normal, yet Severus didnt breathe any better than he had moments before. His hand became limp in mine and I saw the light leave his eyes. 

"Severus?" I breathed, my hands shaking. 

I thought of Tobias in this moment. How in the world would I raise the boy without help from his father? The father whom he was named after. My heart thudded against my chest, knowing I would never feel his touch again. 

"Severus!" I tapped his face gently. "Baby, look at me!" The tears stung my eyes and I felt the hole invade my chest. I had just lost my world. He was gone. 

I rested my head against his bare chest and I couldnt hear his heartbeat. I had just spent ages listening to his steady heartbeat only an hour ago! How as this possible? How could he be taken from me so quickly?! 

I let out sobs into his chest, willing his lungs to take in air again, willing his heart to beat again. I held tightly onto him. My hands had left bloody handprints on his face and all over his abdomen. "Baby please," I sobbed. "I cant lose you!" My hand clasped tightly to his neck, trying to feel for any heartbeat I could find. 

"Come back!" I sobbed again, trying to plead with him now. I couldnt live without him. This was far too painful to bear. I pulled back from him, looking to his dark, lifeless eyes. "No! You cant do this!" I screamed at him. My fist collided with his chest, right above his heart. "Please," I sobbed, resting my forehead against his chest once more. 

He was gone. My Severus. Dead, gone, and turning cold in my arms. 

"I love you."