Chapter 1

Tony

"Mr Stark, get down here. I'm not going to ask you again." Fury hissed at me through intercom. Wow, he is so impatient. Fury had called a meeting with the team almost an hour ago and everyone had arrived, except me that is. I had been working on some new things for the Mark VII. After being shot by Loki's glow stick of destiny I thought that maybe trying to install some sort of magic repellent would prove to be of some use. I didn't know if Loki was going to be back but I didn't want to take any chances. He had given me some pretty nasty 2nd degree burns in our last fight and it took Natasha, Clint and Bruce to pin me down to try and put aloe vera on the burns. Not nice. I transferred my current work down to my portable table and made my way down to the boardroom in no great haste. I could see Fury now, pacing around the room with his forehead all creased and steam blowing from his ears. I wondered what he wanted this time. He had already debriefed us after our fight with Loki and now with Loki out of the picture once again there was little left to speak about.

I sauntered through the doors, deep in a meaningful conversation with JARVIS about energy shields when Fury started to flip out.

"Stark, sit down and shut up!" He snapped.

"But I'm talking to Jar-"

"Your ridiculous AI can wait! Mr Stark there are more important issues at hand." He informed me.

"I heard that, sir." JARVIS told Director Fury. Everyone in the room laughed, expect Fury. He looked like a vein in his head had just burst. I sat down in the empty seat beside Nat, the laughing dying down and I kept quiet, still playing with my tablet. Fury started talking again something about Thor coming back, I don't know. I didn't really care either. I had decided to alter the colour of the Mark VII; I was thinking a deeper red, not a dramatic colour change at all, probably no even enough for anyone to even notice, but enough for me to know. The built in arc reactor would be a triangular shape to match the vibranium in the reactor in my chest. Again, not something people were going to notice. The thruster's capacity was going to have to be increased dramatically. I had to many run ins with the Chitauri because I wasn't fast enough. That was going to have to change. And the frame-

"Hey, that's mine!" I whined as Natasha pulled my tablet from my hands.

"You're probably going to want to hear this." She said in a low voice so only I could hear as she rose to her feet.

"Agent Romanoff, the floor is yours."Fury nodded to her. What is going on? I glanced around the table and everyone seemed to have the same confused expression as I had, everyone, that was, except Clint. He was struggling to conceal a smile. Returning my gaze back to Natasha, I narrowed my eyes and she... blushed? What the hell?

"Thank you, Director." She paused. "I don't know how to say this so I'm just going to come out with it." Pause. "I quit." She stated bluntly. I think my jaw just hit the floor. The notorious Black Widow just quit S.H.I.E.L.D? I looked to Fury for some hint of a smile, she had to be joking, surely? But Fury's face was soft but serious and he simply nodded. Around the table, everyone sat speechless. Steve looked hurt, Bruce looked understanding and Clint was still smiling like an idiot as he rose to his feet to stand next to Nat. She continued as Clint took a place beside her and held her hand, still grinning. "I'm not finished just yet." She stole a glance at Clint. A smile spread across her face to match his and her cheeks flushed red again and her face seemed to glow. I had never seen Natasha like this before in all the years I had known her. She was usually a beautifully composed person that kept all emotions to herself. But never like this. Looking back over her company, she continued. "We're... I'm... I'm pregnant, guys." This time my jaw actually did hit the floor. Steve was the first to break the silence.

"That's great news, Natasha. Congratulations." He hugged them both. Natasha's eyes we welling up with tears. Clint grin had spread from an idiotic smile to a grin that went from ear to ear. Bruce was next.

"Congratulations to you both. Speaking of which, Natasha could you come down to the medical wing this afternoon? Just a check up." He asked as he hugged her, which was an unusual thing for Bruce.

"Oh, of course," she smiled happily at him. Agent Hill ran up to Natasha and hugged her tightly, obviously very excited with the news.

"Oh, Nat!" She cried. "I'm so happy for you, for you both. Congratulations!"

"Thanks, Maria, guys." Natasha said with rosy cheeks. Her hand was wrapped around her stomach in a protective way, like a mother. Until now, had stayed quiet, trying to gather myself together to congratulate her. It was a shock to the system. Not only was I going to lose a friend at work, she was also going to become a mother.

"Congrats you two." I said hugging Clint for the first time ever and then squeezing Nat tightly.

"Thanks Tony. Can I talk to you actually?" She asked me. I was just about to say yes to her request when Fury cut in. I glared at him.

"We aren't finished yet, if you all wouldn't mind taking your seats again." Fury huffed. We all took our places again and Fury continued. "Now as you are all already aware, Thor will be returning. Loki is is chains back in Asgard and so he shall remain. So, with Loki being dealt with, there is the matter of what to do with you all. I am issuing you all leave on the condition that wherever you go that you all stick together. It is easier for us to get you in if you are all together, if a problem should arise that we need you all, with the exception of you of course Natasha." Fury pointed out very matter of factly. I knew what he wanted and it was simply a case of me putting the offer out there.

"Well, Nick," I started.

"That's Director Fury to you, Mr Stark." He corrected me.

"Yeah, whatever Nick. I have space for you all back at Stark Towers. The top three floors are all rooms and living areas and stuff, so you know, you're all welcome. Plus Banner it means I can finally show you my lab." I punched Bruce playfully on the arm and he chuckled with a small smile.

"Sounds like a good idea, Stark." Captain Rogers added.