26. | There Goes That Plan

When Hayley's brunette hair came into view, I launched myself towards the arrival gate and wrapped her in the biggest hug possible. She laughed and wrapped her arms around me too. "Hey, C." She said, as I pulled away and helped her with some of her bags. "This is all you brought?" I asked, looking stunned. Hayley owned thousands of things, I found it hard to believe that she only brought two bags all the way from New York. 

"The rest of the stuff is coming on a truck. Should be here by next week, hopefully." She smiled and I nodded my head in understanding. That made more sense. We walked over to baggage claim to collect her checked bag and then walked outside into the California sun. "Now I could get used to this." Hayley smiled, squinting joyfully in the sunlight. "How are we getting back to your place?" Hayley asked, knowing full well I didn't have a car here. I turned and smirked at her. 

"Oh, I should have fucking known." Hayley shook her head as she laid her eyes on the Range Rover. The passenger window rolled down and Harry sat there smiling. "Hey girl," he said in the most ridiculous and high pitched tone ever. I rolled my eyes. "I forgot you lived here. I'm just gonna catch the next flight back." Hayley turned around but I grabbed her arm and she laughed. "I'm just kidding. I'm here for you, he's just annoying." Hayley scoffed before climbing into the backseat. 

I couldn't shake the feeling of knowing Ryan was somewhere here too, working with my parents to somehow win me back. And I hadn't told Harry about this either. It was the last thing he needed to be worrying about. The very last thing. And I intended to keep it that way.

"I'm really sorry about Ryan, Chloe." Hayley said, after we had been driving for about five minutes.

Well, there goes that plan.

"What about Ryan?" Harry asked, looking over at me confused. I slouched in my chair and tried to keep my calm. I turned around and gave Hayley my best "What the fuck?" face before facing Harry. "My Dad hired Ryan, so he just moved here as well. It's some sort of plan my parents have. They're trying to get us back together." I explained. I saw Harry's jaw clench and he gripped the steering wheel tighter. "And do you want that?" He asked, not looking at me. "What? Harry, no. Hell no. Not in a million years." I couldn't even believe what I was hearing.

"It's my parents attempting to control my life, once again. Except this time, I'm not going to do what they tell me. I'm an adult that can make decisions on her own. Gone are the days that they do that for me, especially when it comes to relationships." I said honestly, staring at Harry, but he kept his eyes on the road. "Good for you." Hayley said proudly, looking out the window, but I wasn't too concerned about what she was thinking at this particular moment. 

Harry was quiet for the rest of the ride to my apartment, and after I showed Hayley inside, I came back out to talk to him. Luckily, he hadn't driven away yet, but was sitting in the driver's seat looking out the window, deep in thought. When he noticed me walking toward him, he slipped his sunglasses back on and looked down to his lap. 

"Harry?" I asked, placing my hands on the door. He looked up at me but due to the sunglasses, I couldn't see his eyes. "You don't have to worry, okay? Nothing will ever happen between Ryan and me again, and I mean that. He hurt me one too many times. I'm never going back." I said honestly, and Harry just nodded. 

"It's just that, I'm kind of sitting here waiting for you to be comfortable enough to try our relationship again, and it seems like you're not even thinking about it. Am I wrong?" He asked softly and I could hear the hurt in his voice. "I don't know. I thought we were just being friends. I didn't know you were waiting for me." I said, a bit stunned by his revelation. 

"I don't know what I'm doing. It feels like I'm waiting for you. But maybe this won't happen again." Harry said, and his  voice cracked. "Tell me the truth, Chloe." He said again, finally slipping off his sunglasses. I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried to speak, but I just couldn't say anything. "I thought so. Look, if you just want to be friends then, that's fine. I just wanted to let you know that I'm heading out of here tomorrow to do some writing in London for a week with a few friends. So, I guess I'll see you when I get back." He said, putting his sunglasses back on and starting the car.