17. | Always Such a Gentleman

"Hayley? You home?" I asked, coming into the apartment from a long day at Illusion. The article came out today, so there was a lot of stuff to take care of, and I also had to talk to the media about my experience with Harry, which required a fair bit of lying, because I knew far too well what would happen if I just straight up told them Harry and I were possibly an item. 

"Yeah, in here," Hayley said, and I walked over to the kitchen and saw her making dinner. "Watcha cooking?" I asked, setting down my bags and taking a seat on the bar stool. "Just some soup, we have basically no food," Hayley said and I groaned. We'd both been too busy to go out and get groceries. "Why don't we go out? We can celebrate my article being published and you booking your first acting gig," I said, and she contemplated it for a second. "Sounds good! Let me grab my jacket, "she said and I nodded. 

Right after she left my phone began ringing. "Hello?" I said, picking it up. "So, I've just read the official printed article," Harry's voice spoke smoothly over the phone. "Oh, did you? And?" I asked, playing with my keys. "It's just bloody awful," he joked, causing me to laugh. "Good, then I did my job," I joked back and he laughed. "But in all seriousness, it's amazing Chloe. Fans are going to love it," he said and I blushed. "Thanks Harry. So, how's recording?" I asked, just as Hayley came back into the room. I then put the phone on speaker so she could hear too.

"It's been good, really busy, but like a good kind of busy. Like really productive, you know?" he said and I smiled. "Good to hear," I said and Hayley then picked up on who was on the phone. "Oh, hey stupid!" she said and Harry laughed. "Hello, Hayley. It's always nice talking to you," Harry joked and she flipped her hair. "I know it is," she laughed. 

"What are you two up to tonight?" Harry asked, changing the subject. "Well, to celebrate the article and Hayley's first acting job we're going out to eat! I know, it's pretty basic, but we're pretty casual people," I said and Hayley smiled. "Casual, and poor," she added on and we both laughed. "I see. Do you think you could change those plans?" he asked, and my eyes immediately widened. I hadn't seen him in about two weeks, since I left LA. 

"Why? Did you have a better idea?" Hayley asked, and I was still frozen. "Yeah, kind of," he said, before there was a knock on our door. My heart started pounding. "Oh, no fucking way," Hayley said, laughing and going to open the door. And sure enough, there he stood, the phone held up to his ear, smiling at us. He hung up and gave Hayley a quick hug and they briefly traded insults before he looked over to me, a smile growing on his face. 

"Hi, love," he said, and I immediately ran over and wrapped my arms around his neck. He twirled me around and then set me back down on the ground. "How can you just show up like this?" I asked, still in disbelief. "Well, do you want the practical answer?" he asked. "Because, I mean, I have my own private jet, and I-" "Okay, I get it. But why?" I asked him. "Because I wanted to see you and help celebrate," he said, and I felt my heart melting. "But mainly I'm just here to crash on that really nice couch. Whoever bought that has excellent taste." Harry joked, throwing his bags on it. 

I just laughed. "Are we going to eat or no?" Hayley interrupted and we both nodded towards her before walking out the door.

__________

After we were seated at Hayley and I's favourite diner, which was also a favourite of Harry's since no one recognized him, we began to talk and catch up, kind of like a little group of friends. "What's your acting job?" Harry asked Hayley, and she beamed. "Oh, it's amazing. I got a part as an extra in a three night production of Hairspray, isn't that just amazing?" she said sarcastically, and Harry laughed a little. "Sarcasm?" he asked, and she looked at him as if she was saying 'obviously'. "Hayley, remember that it's a start and that all actors have to start small," I explained and she just nodded. "Yeah, yeah, I know," she said, eating her sandwich.