18. | You're Gonna Ditch Your Own Party?

"Well, what are you going to do?" Hayley asked, and I groaned. "I don't know! You think I know? I don't want to take it but I just told her I would, if I back out it's going to look unprofessional," I complained. "Maybe, but to me it just looks human. I get there's lots of demand now, but you just spent countless weeks working for Harry. I think you at least deserve a break," Hayley explained.

"Who deserves a break?" Harry asked, walking out of my room and into the kitchen, getting a mug for his coffee. My eyes went wide and tried to signal Hayley not to tell him what was happening, but she didn't notice. "Chloe just got asked to write a giant article on Taylor Swift, but I think she should get a chance to rest first," Hayley told him and I internally groaned. "Wait, really?" Harry said, surprised. I slowly nodded my head. "I just got the call," I explained, trying to avoid his stare.

"I think that's great! It'll be great for your career," Harry said, his warm smile confusing me. "Wait, you do know it's about Taylor Swift, right? That was mentioned, no?" I clarified. He chuckled lowly. "What does that matter? I dated her so many years ago its practically ancient history. Come on, Chloe, you know that," Harry said, taking a sip of his coffee. I shrugged.

"I guess, but it just feels weird. And I don't know how long I'll be away for. This isn't really the job I was expecting to have," I said and Hayley frowned. "Then don't do it. You're not supposed to be doing a job that you hate."

My mind felt so mixed up. I didn't know what to think anymore. But I knew I couldn't just back out of the story. That wasn't an option.

__________

"I think the pink one," Hayley said, and I raised my eyebrows at her. She shrugged. I looked over at Evan, our friend of many years, who also happened to work in the store, and he shook his head. "I think the red," he said, pointing at the red dress hanging on the rack beside me. I smiled.

Hayley and I had known Evan since we moved to New York. He's always been a close friend, and was always working hard in this little corner boutique whenever we stopped by. He told us many times before that he wants to own it some day, and it was his plan to ride the system to the top. Whenever we needed fashion advice, we came here. He had better style than both of us put together.

"I love the red as well, but I don't mind the pink either," Claire, Hayley's sister, said, as she sat down beside Hayley in front of me. "Guys, come on. Just tell me which dress. I don't have forever," I groaned. We were having a celebratory party for the success of the article tonight at Illusion headquarters. Harry was also invited, and was going, but had to spend the whole day with his management preparing what he was supposed to say and stuff.

I, on the other hand, had nothing to wear to this big fancy event, and felt like I didn't want to show up in sweats and a cropped t-shirt. I thought that was probably a good call.

"Red," Evan said and I nodded, going to grab it off the rack. I was starting to get nervous. People were expecting me to be super professional tonight and I was a bit apprehensive. The whole experience of writing the article, to me, was a bit confusing. At times it felt amazing, but at times it really had me questioning what I was doing with my life.

"Ready, C?" Hayley asked, breaking me out of my trance. "Yeah," I nodded and walked over to the checkout.

__________

"Relax Chloe, remember, this is literally a party to celebrate you," Hayley said and I breathed in deeply. We were standing outside Illusion magazine, and luckily I got to bring a plus one to this event so I wouldn't have to be alone the whole night. The night was really just celebrating Harry, despite what Hayley said. I was going to be virtually non-existent.