Chapter 1

Tap tap tap

I hit my pencil lightly on the desk and bounced my leg nervously and looked around the empty waiting room. I'd been here for 3 damn hours waiting for my interview. I glanced at the clock that said 'The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon' behind the hands. The clock read 3:14; only a minute away from my appointment.

I rubbed my clammy hands on my knees and looked down at the navy blue lace top dress I was wearing, straightening out the ruffle at the hem. My heart pounded as I watched the second hand on the clock slowly tick. The agonizingly slow lurch of the plastic arm seemed to tease me.

Almost as soon as the clock struck 3:15, the door in front if my swung open, making me jump a bit.

" Miss. Striker?" Said a tall, lanky man who demeaningly peered over his glasses as if to find anyone but me in the otherwise empty room. "Follow me." he turned around briskly and started walking down the hall behind him. I fixed a few stray hairs and pulled the bottom of my dress down slightly to busy my anxious hands.

At the end of the hall, a door was open. I could hear snickers and whispering before I entered. When I walked in, everything went dead silent. I looked at the director and head writer and froze, blinking hard, I walked up to the desk.

" Have a seat." the director ordered. I gulped and sat down in the very uncomfortable chair in front of the desk. It was the kind of uncomfortable that made your skin crawl because it was more than a physical discomfort.

"Yes, ah... my name is Rachel Striker." my voice shook as I handed them my resume as I breathed anxiously. The intimidating men in front of me scanned over my paper and looked back up at me.

They started asking the normal questions like," have you ever been fired?", "does it make you nervous to be in charge of important files", "why do you need this job?" etc.

" What kind of purse do you have?" the head writer asked, one eyebrow shooting up. This question took me a bit by surprise.

" Uhhmm?" I looked down beside me to see a strong hand reach for my purse. I quickly grabbed the wrist and pulled it forcefully close to me. This also pulled whomever was trying to steal my bag into view. My right fist was back in beat-the-shit-out-of-you position when I realized who I was threatening.

" WOAH! SHIT!" James Fallon yelled, throwing his free hand in front of him. I felt all the blood drain from my entire face except for my cheeks and nose as I let go of him with a shaky hand.

" I-I uh-" I stuttered anxiously but he cut me off.

" That.... was......." He stood back up, brushing his suit back into place." AWESOME!" he yelled in my face and started bouncing around in a childish manner.

" Wha-"

" You TOTALLY almost just punched me in the face!" he giggled, still bouncing.

" I'm soo-" I started.

" Woo! I'm PUMPED!" he bounced back, firing punches into the air, dodging jabs from an imaginary opponent.

" I'm sorry... I- I didn't know it was you..." I felt my face starting to heat up, no doubt tomato-red.

" No! that's exactly what you're supposed to do in a situation like that!" he gripped my shoulders, taking me by surprise. I gasped as he spun me to face him. He pulled the chair towards him so that our faces were only inches apart.

I looked into his dark brown eyes and pushed myself farther into the chair, making my back ache more. He only got closer. He studied my eyes, taking in every detail that made me. My eyes widened slightly as he looked me up and down, searching me from head to toe as if I were an animal to auction.

" I like this one. I want her. can I have her? She's feisty and dangerous," He said in a slightly feminine accent. He patted my head and turned sharply to the other two who were holding back their laughter behind pinched mouths.

" I. want. this. one." he leaned forward and pointed back to me, almost touching my face. The two nodded and a few laughs leaked from their taught lips.

" GREAT!" he clapped and turned to me. " You start in the morning. 6:00. sharp!" he smiled and patted my head before walking out, leaving pure shock drilled on my face.