Chapter 31

As his knee hit the ground, my heart started tugging around inside of my chest. I felt my throat become dry as my vision became blurry from tears that I was holding back. He looked up at me, his eyes so full of happiness, hope, and a hint of terror.

I held my hand up to my mouth to hide the way my lips trembled awkwardly as I fought tears. with my free hand, I reached out and touched his cheek as he brought a small box out of his pocket.

" I don't know if you'll have me, or if you've even ever thought of having me..." he blinked back tears." But I love you, so very much... and, even if you don't want me, I will never stop needing you. Rachel, I need you in my life so incredibly much." He opened the box to reveal a simple ring with a delicate diamond placed on top. It was so beautifully simple and elegant.

Shakily, he slipped the ring out of the box and set the box down. He took my left hand. Holding the ring right in front of my ring finger, he gazed up at me.

" Will you have me? Will you please do me the honor of letting me take care of you for the rest of your life and love you every second of it? Will you be my wife, Rachel? Will you take my name?" His voice shook as tears started rolling down his face.

With giant salty tears dripping down my face, I nodded. He slipped the ring on and stood up, holding my hand up at eye level as if we were about to dance.

My hand quickly found that back of his neck and I pulled him into my kiss. He smiled into the kiss and pulled me close under the lamp light beside the tree. He pulled away and looked down at me, smiling.

"Lets get outa here," he smiled. We walked down the trail just a little longer... our feet hitting the concrete in unison...

Tap Tap Tap