eight.

June 2, 2021

Harley stood in front of the full length mirror while examining her outfit of the day once more. Today was Hassan's Fun Without Guns event and she was nervous. She didn't know if it was because she knew his parents were gonna be there or because this was their actual first date as a couple and the press were gonna be there. It was no secret to her that Hassan had been in the blogs countless times. Some articles were about his business and others were about him and one of his flings.

"Girl, you're already late. He's waiting on you." Megan spoke as she stood in the doorway of Harley's bedroom.

"Okay." Harley sighed. "I'm ready. How do I look?"

"For the millionth time, you look fine. Hassan has been blowing up your phone like crazy." She sat the cellphone in front of Harley, showing her countless missed calls and texts.

"Oh God, I'm leaving now." She huffed while grabbing her purse and her phone.

"What? Where are you going?" Juanita asked as she overheard them talking. Her short bob cut was damp as if she had just gotten out of the shower.

"To this event. With her boooo." Megan teased making Harley shoot her a death glare.

"Boo? You have a man?" Juanita asked. Harley hadn't told her mother about Hassan yet because she didn't want to get her hopes up. Her past relationships had been a complete fail and she didn't want to get her mother's hopes up for nothing.

"I'll explain later. Right now I have to go." She told them.

"Relax girl. Take a deep breath. If you need me, I'll be one call away."

"What? You're not coming?" Harley frowned. She needed her best friend for times like this.

"I don't know. I don't wanna go without a date. I'll see." I'll see usually meant no in Megan's book. Carnival rides weren't her thing.

"Alright. I'll see you later."

"Okay have fun! And take pictures!" She yelled out as Harley rushed out of the house. Once she got inside her car, she sent Hassan a message.

To Hassan❤️: I'm sorry. I'm on my way now. 3:37 p.m.

Since the event was downtown, she had no problem getting there. Especially since she lived fifteen minutes away. Hilton Avenue was blocked off for parking for the event so there was a little traffic but Harley didn't mind. She parked a block away from Hilton Avenue before getting out her car. Her phone vibrated in her hand and she knew it was Hassan texting her back.

From Hassan❤️: where are you?
3:59 p.m.

To Hassan❤️: I'm in front of the Starbucks on Pershing Avenue.
3:59 p.m.

From Hassan❤️: stay there. I'm gonna meet you.
4:01 p.m.

To Hassan❤️: alright.
4:01 p.m.