Chapter Three: Speaking and Silence

"Runaround Sue" - Dion

Chapter Three: Speaking and Silence

Golden sunrays illuminated over somber household.

Chelsea woke up to her alarm clock buzzing in her ears. She turned it off immediately.

Today was Saturday so she didn't even understand why it was on.

The events that took place last night came rushing back to her like a nightmare.

Chelsea didn't know how to react to her sister's coldness. Marcy never treated her that way before.

Chelsea assumed that her sister didn't trust her and that hurt deeply.  

Whatever Marcy was hiding shouldn't mean more than their relationship.

Shouldn't their bond be stronger than anything that threatened to tear them apart?

Chelsea believed so.

Chelsea knew this was going to be difficult but, no matter what she couldn't give up on Marcy.

She had to support her.

Chelsea couldn't help feeling partially responsible for everything that transpired.

Chelsea felt like she enabled Marcy.

She let Marcy do whatever she wanted and never questioned her actions.

Chelsea believed that everything was her fault so, she also believed it was up  her to fix this.

Chelsea pushed off her blankets and slowly got out of bed.

Nerves overcame her as she left her room.

What if Marcy was still mad?  Would Marcy even remember what happened last night?

Upon passing Marcy's room, Chelsea began hearing coughing.

She knocked on Marcy's door but there wasn't any answer.

Chelsea pushed the door forward. It creaked open as a response.

This was strange because Marcy always locked her room door.

Chelsea peered her head through the door frame.

She didn't see Marcy in bed.

Chelsea entered the room and searched for her sister.

Her eyes traveled to the bathroom.

The door was open and Chelsea found Marcy with her body hurled over the toilet.

Chelsea thought Marcy was vomiting because of her hang-over.

Chelsea dropped to her knees next to her sister and pulled back her long hair.

Marcy continued puking.  Chelsea massaged Marcy's scalp while she vomited.

"It's okay", Chelsea cooed. 

"I'm right here", She reassured.

Chelsea felt bad for Marcy. She heard the strain on Marcy's chest as she threw-up.

Chelsea was surprised at the harmful affects alcohol had on the body. She decided she would never drink, to her it wasn't worth it.

If this was what growing up had in store for her, Chelsea would avoid it at all cost.  

Marcy sat up and leaned on the wall.

"Are you okay?", Chelsea asked.

In reply Marcy noded slowly.