Chapter 6

I'm dressed and ready for work. Hinami is sleeping so I left her alone to get some more sleep, and I went downstairs to open up the cafe. It's busier then normal and I'm taking orders and serving all by myself. "What can I get for you?" I ask.
"I need to speak with the manager."
"Sorry he's not here yet. Can I pass on a message?"
"No I need him. He's upstairs and he knows I'm coming." The man pushes past me and walks upstairs. I chase after him, dipping under his arms and stood in front of him, stopping him from going any further.
"It's okay Taiga. He can come in. Thank you for your concern though." Mr Yoshimura says blandly. I turn around a reluctantly move aside.
"You're servants have become more protective."
"Isn't that a good thing?" Mr Yoshimura welcomes this man happily, before disappearing further up the stairs. I back off and walk downstairs slowly.
I continue doing my job, but I can't help worrying about what's happening upstairs, and clearly I'm very distracted. My thoughts are racing, people can be evil.
"Taiga!" Somebody shouts. I look up and my eyes lock with Hide's.
"Hey." I say as he walks over and sits at the bar in front of me. He taps the table hinting for me to sit next to him. I lean on the table mere inches away him and smile. "What do you want? I'm working?"
"I just wanted to say hello and ask you a question."
"Okay?" I pulled away and raised my brow.
"How old are you?"
"A true lady never reveals her age hide."
"It's a good thing you aren't one of those."
"18." I pouted.
"Are you going to school when it starts up again and are you sending your niece to school as well?"
"I've not really thought about it." I stopped pouting and just started sulking. I realised that I hadn't really thought about any of this. I'm her legal guardian now and I haven't even thought about her going to school yet.
"If you go to school you have to tell me your classes and hopefully we'll be in the same one!"
"Kaneki is still asleep, I think. He's not at work yet, but when he's here I'll be sure to tell him you're looking for him." I say going to stand up. Hide grabs my arm.
"I didn't come for Kaneki. I came for you. I just wanted to make sure you were okay and if you wanted to do something tonight?"
"Well I have Hinami I can't leave her again, but I suppose you could come to mine... if you wanted." I began to blush.
Hide smiled. "Great. What time?"
"Swing by at 7."
He nodded. "Touka-chan is here now, you want to go to the bookstore? Hinami might like a manga or some books. There's a sale so you might get a bargain."
Kaneki then walked in, in his uniform. "Now kaneki-ken is here, let's go." He says standing up. I walk over to kaneki.
"There's a sale at the book store. You wanna come with us?" I ask kindly.
"If hide says it's alright then okay."
Hide smiles. "I was about to ask you anyway."
The three of us awkwardly walk to the book store. Not a single word was spoken the entire way there, and I was uncomfortable to say the least. When we got inside, I dashed off and began looking for books, alone.
I begin piling a bunch of books in my arms, just casually adding more to the pile. "Excuse me." Someone says tapping my shoulder. I turn around. "Nishiki?" I mutter, feeling confused seeing him here.
"Taiga" he says with a hint of disappointment in his voice.
"Lovely to see you too." I roll my eyes and walk away.
"Sorry about your sister." He adds, nastily, knowing it will get to me.
"And yours." I turn around and flash him a condescending smile. His sarcastic smile instantly turns to an angry frown.
I walked over to Kaneki and hand him some money and all of the books. "Get these for me I have to sort something out." I storm out of the shop, followed quickly by my lovely friend Nishiki.
"Taiga!" he shouts. I continue to walk, ignoring him, but he didn't like the fact I was pretending he wasn't there, so he did what any abnormal person would do, and ran in front of me, putting his hand out.
"What is it that you want now?" I say raising an eyebrow.
"bring up my sister?" He asks feeling offended.
"Why bring up mine?" I shove him aside angrily and continue to walk away.
"Taiga you've met Nishiki." he says happily.
"You two know each other?" He looks at me angrily, and then back to hide confused.
"Yeah. She carried me for ages. Which is really hard to believe looking at the size of her but I passed out and she helped me." I looked at hide and began to blush. "Isn't she just adorable." He said squeezing my cheeks.
I faked a smile and hit Hide's hands away from my face.
I walked over to Nishiki. "You come near me or Hinami and your human girlfriend will die." I whispered then walked away. I walked into the café and made myself some coffee. I don't know what's wrong with me. I throw it at the wall and just end up curling into a ball on the floor, crying. I missed my sister. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye, but with her dying the way she did, nobody got to say bye.
"Get up. Now" someone ordered. I looked up and touka was there. She looked mad and disappointed. "Get up, now. You're pathetic. Hinami is upstairs and you're here feeling sorry for yourself."
I stood up angrily. "Hinami lost her mum, but I lost my sister." I said pushing touka into the wall with great force. "Stop acting like you know whats best for everyone because you don't know shit. Hinami is my niece not yours so stop with the constant tips. I don't need them!" I said stepping over her and walking out. Kaneki walked in so I grabbed the books off of him. "I'm not going to touch you, for Hinamis sake." Touka said standing up. I put the books down and walked over to touka. I punched her in the face, due to my speed, she was launched back into the wall. I picked the books up and walked up to Hinami. I sat with her and gently woke her up. "Hey. I got you something." I said holding the bag up. She sat up and smiled.
She grabbed the bag and began looking through. She smiled and hugged me. "I love them. Thank you!"
I hugged Hinami back. "It's okay." I say holding back the tears.
Touka ran up and burst into the room.
"I'm only looking out for her!" She screams.
"Hinami will you go downstairs and ask kaneki to make you a coffee please." I say moving away.
She looks at Touka nervously and slowly walks downstairs. When I'm sure she's gone, I stand up. "I blew thing up. Things shouldn't have gone that far." I say walking over to touka. I stare at the floor. "I'm so-" but before I can finish, she extends her leg and kicks me across the the room. I sit up and shake my head.
"I'm not retaliating when Hinami is awake." I stood up staring her straight in the eye. She turned around and walked out. I realised that I've been acting off with everyone today, despite mine and Nishiki's past, I feel as though I could have acted differently. I run downstairs and smile at Hinami. "Come on. Let's go out."
She grabs a coat and some glasses and pulls the hood up. She grabs my hand and we begin to walk to Nisiki's house. I knock on the door and Kimi answers. "Hello?" She says confused.
"Is Nishiki in?" I ask politely. She opens the door wider to reveal her boyfriend making his way to the door.
"Why are you here?" He stares at me coldly.
"Look, I've thought over and over about what I said to you and I'm sorry. It was mean and I didn't mean it. Forget everything I said." I go to walk away and I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Thank you for coming over and apologising." Nishiki says kindly. I turn around and send him a friendly smile before walking away with Hinami. I guess she helps me as much as I help her.