Chapter 8

Y/n sat in a flower bed on the secret garden behind her room. Her knees were up to her chest resting her chin on them. Areum's words floating and looping over her head over and over.

She's my half-sister.

Tears rested on her lower lids. Her entire body quivered. She had been the odd one all along because she wasn't Master Gyeong's biological daughter. Only Areum.

How could her mother hide such a thing? How could neither of them tell her something worthwhile?

The tears sprang from her eyes as she sobbed quietly. Everything felt numb. Master Hak Kun wasn't home. He was out in a gathering at another officer's home. Sun Hi had the night off, leaving her alone in the big house.

She felt so small. Confused. Stupid.

But, she wasn't that person anymore. She wasn't a female anymore. Lee y/n was gone now. It didn't take long for her to realize that this whole drama was worth nothing. After all, she had a new family. A family that really appreciated her. That accepted her for who she was and wanted to be. With her left sleeve she wiped her tear trails and stood in her feeble legs. She looked up at the moon. A small smile twitching at the corner of her lips. There was a tepid feeling as the wind blew her hair.

In her hands, she cupped some fallen flower petals. She brought them to her salty lips. With a soft kiss over them, she raised her hands and let the wind carry them away.

"Goodbye, Lee y/n." She murmured as the petals blew into the night air farther and farther away.

She smiled inhaling her freedom. Her lungs filling with the richest blooming perfume she had ever inhaled. Everything felt perfect. Almost unreal. The petals vanished from view, just like the lump over her shoulders from all those years ago.

She didn't remember at what time or how she ended in bed. But when she woke up, she noticed she was in her room. It was a bright morning and it seemed almost afternoon. There was a bruising pain on her scalp. As if she had hit her head really hard against a boulder.

"What the heck?"

"Master Hyo, here is something to help you." Sun Hi said stepping closer to her. She held a small flask with a green colored fluid in it. The lovely maid poured some in her small palm and massaged y/n's head with it. A cooling sensation overtook the back of y/n's head. She sighed relieved. The cooling numbed her headache.

"Master Hak Kun was really worried when he found you collapsed in the back garden."

Y/n looked at Sun Hi and tilted her head befuddled.

"What did you say? I was collapsed in the back garden?"

"Yes. I'm sorry I wasn't here. It was all my fault."

"No. No, it wasn't. I think I remember slipping."

Sun Hi sighed relieved as she kept her hands busy in y/n's head.

"Where's my father?"

Y/n asked stretching her body a bit. Sun Hi bit her lip nervously while stepping away from y/n.

"He has gone to a meeting with the other Officials concerning something the Queen wants."

Y/n's eyes widened with fear. The worst thought flooded her mind.

She knew. The Queen. She knew y/n was alive.

A wave of horror twisted her abdomen.

"Oh no."