Chapter 5

Y/n gave him a bow and kept on walking. This was no time to panic. It's ok. It's ok. She kept repeating in her head to calm herself. But then she felt her arm being yanked and her entire self turned around to see her brother's face. Y/n tried to do that thing guys always do when someone touches them by force. She locked her jaw and frowned. She then grabbed her brother's grip and tore it off her arm.

"Hey, what's your problem?" Y/n said looking at Areum who stared back at her. There was sweat on his face. And dark bags under his eyes. He never looked so miserable.

Areum stared back at her with a confused face. "Hyo, it's me. Lee Areum. Your best friend. Don't you remember me?"

Years Ago

"Y/n! Areum! Hurry down! We must leave!" Her mother shouted as both of the children ran out their rooms. Y/n was at least five when Areum was seven. He had always been very mean to her. Especially that year, since he was going to training the following week.

"Move you slow snail!" Areum shouted pushing y/n against the wall and running down the hall. Y/n bumped against the wall and hit both her head and elbows. She fell to her knees and cried softly.

I'm fine. I'm fine.

She then wiped her tears and stood making her way to her parents. Her mother smiled at her and carried her in her arms.

"Now, I need for you to be extra polite today. We will be having dinner with two of the officials that work for Silla along with your father. Please, be respectful." Y/n nodded as they walked to the horses. "The official names are, Yi Myung Dae, and Kang Hak Kun. They both are really nice, and both have children." Y/n smiled. At least it wouldn't be so bad with other children other than her brother.

When they got to the gate, they jumped off the horse and walked towards the gate. The gate doors opened. The Lee family walked towards the Kang house and knocked on the door. A house lady opened the door and let them in. "Welcome Master Gyeong into Master Hak Kun's home. Please, he is this way waiting."

She led them into a very fancy dining room. There was two men and one boy sitting in the table already. Y/n's father chuckled. "Ah. I hope we aren't late, are we?" The man sitting next to the boy shook his head. "Of course not. Sit. Make yourself at home." They all took their seats as the house ladies prepared the table for dinner.

Her father, as always, so curious about everything. He stared at Master Yi Myung Dae very collectively. "The rest of your family couldn't make it?" He asked while drinking from his goblet. Master Myung Dae sighed and said, "Oh. My wife went to visit her sister. Apparently, she needed some help with her newborn baby." Y/n's father nodded. Not that he really cared about anything the man had said.

After eating and talking about certain events that had been taken in the Capitol, y/n's mother went up to both of her children and said, "I would really appreciate it if you went to talk that little boy. His name is Hyo. He's very shy, so be extra nice to him." Both of the children nodded and made their way to Hyo. He was outside looking at the stars. But before they could get to him, Areum stopped y/n and pushed her back in the house. "No. Not you. You always ruin everything." Then he went to talk to Hyo and soon they were talking as if they knew each other forever.

Y/n watched as the two boys played. A tear slipped out of her eye. Why was Areum so ambitious and cruel towards her? What had she done for him to act so cold hearted and poorly towards his only sibling?

She watched them laugh and enjoy themselves with each other's company. And since that day at the Kang's residence, they were inseparable.

∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵

Kang Hyo had been Areum's childhood best friend. Y/n felt as if the universe was against her. Whenever she tried to run from something, she felt like she kept getting back to it somehow. No matter how much she tried, there was always a way back to the same problem.

She tried to make the most shocked expression. And tried to feel the same way she felt when she had seen Hae Won just last night.

"Areum?" She said in her deepest and most puzzled voice. Areum seemed to believe it. "Yes. That's me." He wore a wicked smile as he chuckled. Y/n tried her best chuckle and ran a hand through her hair. She had seen many times guys do this when they were surprised or shocked.

"Well? Where have you been? Everyone thought you were dead! And it simply drove me nuts that your father wasn't saying anything!" Areum said flexing his knuckles time and time again. Excitement eating him alive. Y/n sighed with a smirk.

"I just needed to go." She said placing her hand on his shoulder. Areum stared at her trying to understand. "What do you mean?" Y/n looked into his eyes. Her mouth opened, but no words came out. "I just had to." Areum didn't try to hide his perplexities this time. His eyebrows slanted, and his eyes moved as they tried to read y/n's expression. Y/n let her hand fall to her side. That's when they heard a bunch of conversations.

Most of the boys you would see in the Okta House appeared. Kim Soo Ho and Park Ban Ryu stood in complete shock when they caught a glimpse of y/n's face. Areum sighed in annoyance at the sight of them.

Ban Ryu raised the arch of one of his eyebrows at y/n. "So, you've returned." He said in that deep commanding voice of his. Y/n tightened her grip on her fists behind her back. Then, she did a small nod with a smile. "Ban Ryu. Look at you. Time does really fly by." Ban Ryu didn't remove his eyes off her, yet, he didn't say a single word.

On the other hand, Soo Ho cleared his throat making everyone to turn their attention to him. Y/n tried not to show her nerves to face Soo Ho. He had been the one to flirt with her at the Okta House. She tilted her head to look at him.

"Ah. How could I forget you? Kim Soo Ho." Soo Ho was a bit less tense than Ban Ryu. He took in a deep breath before smirking at her. "Ya, Hyo, what took you so long to return?" Y/n was completely about to lose it. Her nerves were at an edge. That's when she began to remember. She remembered how Areum and the real Hyo were so close. After all, all she could do back then was sit back and watch at how both of them would have fun together. Hyo was a big fan of sports. He was the best player among all the boys. Nobody could get past him. Never. And he was very mature. He wasn't one to tame either. Out of both, Areum was the immature one. Hyo was more of an introvert as well.

Y/n smiled to herself. Knowing this would be a great guide to help her become a better Hyo. Y/n looked from Areum to Ban Ryu to Soo Ho. "That's the least. So, do you all still suck at ball?" Soo Ho frowned at her with a smile. Ban Ryu lifted his chin as if he was saying everything. Areum sighed. "I rarely have time for ball anymore. With my father pressuring me-" "Ah. It's not like you are the only one. Just admit you're not good." Soo Ho interrupted Areum while crossing his arms in front of his chest. Y/n knew it was true. The children that had official parents were always pressured, especially if you were a male. Countless of times, she would see her father pressure and stress the idea of 'being superior' to Areum. It really made her sad for Areum sometimes.

Areum glared at Soo Ho. The other guy smiled teasingly back. Y/n looked at Ban Ryu. His look intimidated her. His eyes were cold and piercing.

"How about a match?" Soo Ho said raising his eyebrow in challenge. Y/n felt all her organs fall to the pit of her stomach. She had played ball in secret for some time, but she had never played against anyone. If she were Lee y/n, she could make up any excuse and not play, but she wasn't Lee y/n. She was Kang Hyo. The best player in the capital.

With a low bow, she smiled at Soo Ho and shook her head. "I can't play at the moment. But thank you for the offer. Now, if you don't mind, I need to be going." She gave one look at Areum before walking off. Once she was far enough from them, she sucked in a deep breath and relaxed her body. This was going to be more challenging than she thought.