1. [Awkward Encountering]

Vashtie Carter

I was scrolling through my twitter timeline pleased at the positive feedback I was getting from my last selfie. Not only did I take photographs of other people, I also took professional photos of myself and posted them onto my Instagram and Twitter account. It was mainly so I could test out my photo editing skills and the lightings on my cameras, not because I wanted to just post a picture.

My current location was LA California and I was staying in an apartment with my closest and only friend, Dayjah. We had been best friends since we were juniors in high school. We hit it off as soon as we met, her being the out going and eccentric type of gal, and me being quite closed off and safe.

"Hey Vashtie, have you checked you twitter recently?" Dayjah asked walking into my room wearing some cotton grey shorts and a pink tank top. I could tell she just walked out the shower because her long sleek black her was now damp and sticking to her face.

She sat on my bed giving me a questioning look. "Yeah, I was literally just looking on it now" I replied looking at my phone once more to see if there was anything exciting or particularly interesting I could've missed.

"Well you obviously wasn't looking hard enough" she said. "Go onto Chris Brown's twitter" she said with a wide smile on her face.

Eyeing her content facial expression for a brief moment, I quickly typed Chris Brown's name into the search bar and scrolled through his timeline. Seeing nothing particularly interesting I put my phone down and looked at Dayjah. "What am I supposed be looking for?" I asked as she shook her head, her smirk never leaving her pink lips.

"Don't you see that tweet right there?" she giddily asked while taking my phone from my palm and pointing out the tweet he posted five minutes ago.

"Looking for a good director for my music video, Anyone good in the area?" I read out the tweet as Dayjah smiled at me.

"You could so totally film his video for him. Do you know how big you'll get? Plus you'll get to meet Chris Brown, no girl would pass that offer up" Dayjah informed winking at me after.

I rolled my eyes. Seeing as I was so independent, Dayjah was constantly trying to hook me up with these celebrities and make me go on blind dates. I gave up after she paired me with this dude who got sloppy drunk and threw up all over my shiny, black Loubitons. I could tell by how giddy she was that she was going to, once again, try to set me up.

"Dayjah, my career only just started to get good. I don't want you trying to hook me up with another dude. I'm really not interested" I replied monotonously, the words just flowed out of my mouth because I could recall me reciting that same sentence about a million and one times.

"But I wanna do fun stuff with you like double dating and, and..." I kinda zoned out of Dayjah whining speech.

There was a reason why she had a man and I didn't. I mean she was beautiful, chocolate brown skin, the brightest brown eyes I had ever seen and a killer figure. And I was just me, olive brown skin, boring curly hair and an average small body.

Somehow Dayjah had managed to hook up with Trey Songz and they had been going out for about a year or two. They bumped into each other at my celebratory party where people congratulated me for my achievement and what not. Since then she had been nagging me to get a man and that she felt bad whenever she brought Trey around to hang out. She felt like she was showing him off.

"It's okay Dayjah, plus I wanna think about my career first and figure out where I'm heading before I start thinking about dating" I expressed as she frowned. I stood up from my position on the bed and stretched.