The teenager glanced at himself in the mirror, while brushing his teeth. It was dirty, shattered at the corner, and foggy but he still managed to distinguish a pair of blue eyes and golden hair, ruffled and cut unevenly - for he had cut it himself as he always did - which he combed afterwards, giving it a neat, slicked back look. If it hadn't been because of the dark circles and visible exhaustion in his face, the teenager would've looked quite young... and handsome. Enough to even shock himself as he hadn't seen himself like that for years.

But the teenager didn't have the time to care for himself or to do something about his insomnia as he had all the responsibility on him. Or well, he had time, even after when he came back home from his work - a job which was unspoken of - but, simply, he didn't have the energy to do something about his situation. Whenever he had time he would try to utilize it keep his sister's stomach full.

In fact, his day would start with such as well. He had already woken up and done some chores before his sister - while still having an empty stomach - and the next thing for him was to cook breakfast. After that, he would peacefully wake his sister.

*****

"No, anak. You must wake up."

"Five... minutes... more..."

Hearing this for the umpteenth time, Lillie Dayanara Macodi Lindo got restless. She clutched the blanket and pulled it off of her son, who had already started snoring again.

"No!" He shrieked, his eyes still closed - they were bloodshot - and curled up. "Give me my blanket!"

Lillie sighed. The Filipino beauty hadn't wanted to wake her son this way. She knew it was very annoying for him but he would never leave her a choice. "Anak, you can't sleep all day. You need to wake up and be productive, John."

John lied on his back, crossing his arms and pursing his lips. "What's the point when I'm grounded anyway?"

Lillie had given up. "Fine. I'll give you ten more minutes, but no more than that. Do you understand, John Eric Huston?"

John's head perked up slightly; he hadn't liked it whenever she called him with his full name. But he understood that this was a serious moment for Lillie as she called him with his full name like she used to when she was serious.

The teen said "Fine by me." And turned to his side, closing his eyes. When he seemed to be asleep the Filipino beauty left her son's room. Then he finally opened his eyes. He had lost his sleepiness for long but his mother just wouldn't go away. Why wasn't she leaving him alone? Well, she finally had and that was good.

The brown haired teen sat up on his bed and ran a hand on his face. "I'm fuckin' tired." He mumbled to himself. Tired wasn't the proper word to address what he felt. He, like most teens his age, had been depressed. He was at that stage of his life and he was not fucking having it.

John noticed some liquid rolling down his left cheek. He wiped it immediately; he was no crybaby, no, not him. So he wouldn't cry nor sob. Not even a drop. After all, he had something called "ego" and he felt belittled by himself when he felt the hot tears. His sadness was nothing compared to actual depression, so he had thought.

"Anak! Are you awake yet?" A melodious voice was heard from the other side of the door. Mom.

*****

"I'm awake!" The blonde answered, "Seriously."

"Yes, that's why you're facing the wall with your eyes closed. You are seriously awake." The interrogator used his sarcasm, crossing his hands. His voice had a funny glint yet his blue eyes held that piercing and cold gaze at his sister.