Chapter 10

Aaron leaned in closely while Amanda looked out the window thinking about her brother and how Joe had suddenly just shown up in her life. Her life seemed like it was starting to drudge up the past and she had no idea how to deal with it.

"What are you thinking about?" Aaron asked. Amanda jumped at the sound of his voice. He was extremely close to her. She could smell his minty fresh breath, his Calvin Klein cologne, and even his hair. She'd never noticed how nice he smelled... or how good looking he was. She shook her head slightly, clearing the clouds from it, then turned her body towards his.

"Nothing really, just about how coincidental this whole day was. I mean, really. What are the odds my ex shows up at the place where my father, whom I didn't even know was my father, had a meeting and he's actually working. Not just stalking me by chance, but working. Something just doesn't sit right with this situation." She said. Aaron smiled inwardly at how she used her hands when she talked in big dramatic gestures.

"I think it was just the wrong day, at the wrong time, at the wrong place." Aaron said. Amanda looked at him defeated. Aaron felt his heart break a bit at the look of despair her face gave away. He scooted closer to her and put his arm around her shoulders. As if Amanda had already read his mind she leaned closer to him and laid her head in the crook of his shoulder. She fit perfectly.

"Yeah, maybe you're right. I'm so exhausted. I need some sleep." She said.

"After the fight you put up today? I'd say you definitely deserve a long nap," he said as he set his cheek on her head. He felt her body begin to shake, He quickly looked down at her but her head was angled in a way that disabled him from seeing her face. Then he heard her sniffle. His heart broke a little more and instinctively his hand came up to caress her cheek. She sniffled once more then looked up at him.

"Thank you. For being there for me today." She said as she nonchalantly nuzzled her cheek into his open palm. She closed her eyes as she felt the rough of his thumb stroke her cheek. Aaron looked at her and analyzed her. He wasn't sure what exactly he was feeling, but he'd never felt like this before.

Suddenly the limo came to a stop in front of the White House. Home. Aaron quickly released her and practically jumped out of the car. She looked down, defeated, then slowly crawled out of the car and slumped her way to the back door.

What is wrong with me. First my brother doesn't want me, then my father, now him? I thought everything was going okay? I thought we were okay? She thought to herself. Slowly a tear formed in her eye and made a slow trek down her cheek as she walked through the door Aaron was holding for her.

***

Aaron was sitting up in bed at 4 AM with is head in his hands and his elbows resting on his knees. He had no idea what was happening to him. He'd seen that tear fall from her beautiful eyes and it practically broke his heart. He'd never felt this overwhelming need to protect someone, not like this. He felt it was his duty to protect the President. But that was his job. But Amanda? Amanda... He felt like he was born to protect her. And he couldn't shake the feeling that she was going to need some protecting soon.

Then he heard a loud smash from her room. He got to his feet and was in her doorway before she could even scream. His eyes quickly surveyed the room and all he could see was a vase of flowers had fallen on the floor. He looked to Amanda. She sat on her bed, looking at him wide eyed. Suddenly a furious blush colored her cheeks and she quickly averted her eyes.

"What happened?" He asked. She refused to look at him in his boxers, no matter how sculpted that body was. She shook her head.

"Nothing. I was just having a little tantrum," She said with her hand now covering her eyes. He just stared at her, not sure what to make of her odd behavior.