Chapter 9

Amanda's mind was whirling with emotion as her and Aaron sat side by side in the car. She looked out the window and focused only on the scenery, on everything that was real. She didn't want to think her brother was alive. She hated it. Because that meant he had never came back for her, never wrote to her (where ever he'd been), never stopped by, or called. Not once. She'd thought he was dead. He had to have had a good reason to do that... didn't he?

Amanda, don't be so niave. She scolded herself. If he actually cared he would have came to you long ago.

Maybe... Do you think he even knows mom is dead?

Probably Amanda. Don't kid yourself. Be strong. If he comes back now then you need to decide if you're going to be that understanding kid, or the strong-hearted adult. Jumping suddenly she felt a hand on her leg. She moved her leg away instinctivly.

"Whoa Amanda, it's okay," Aaron said, holding his hands up in a surrender. Amanda smiled at him apologetically. Aaron gave her a comforting smile back and put his arm around her shoulders. She looked up at him in a questioning look which he ignored and pretended not to notice. She shrugged her shoulders and leaned her head into the crook of his shoulder. She sighed happily, satisfied that her head fit so perfectly.

She closed her eyes and gave a calming sigh, for once feeling completely at ease. Besides, she was allowed to sleep, they had a long car ride ahead of them.

Moments later she was out. Aaron looked at her beautiful, flawless skin. The way her brown hair framed her face, the little nose wiggle she'd do, the sighs she'd make.

"Aaron," she said. He looked down at her but her eyes were still closed. He looked at her questioningly.

"Yeah..?" he said unsure if she was actually awake or not. But she didn't say a word and her breathing was still calm. She'd just said his name in her sleep. It made Aaron's heart skip about ten beats. But, that couldn't be possible. He was faithful to his job, not a girl he was supposed to be protecting for his boss. But he was. He was falling for her. Not that he would ever admit that.

"What are you kids doing back there?" Jim asked from the front seat as he rolled down the middle window of the limo. He had his eyebrow cocked with a smirk on his face. His eyes had a certain light to them as Aaron glared at him. But it wasn't a full glare, no. Aaron respected Jim. They'd spent so much time together through limo rides like going to meetings and such. While the president was on the phone Aaron and Jim would make small talk on the long rides. Between them they were like uncle and nephew.

Aaron gestured to Amanda's head that had slipped down this stomach now. Aaron gave Jim a faint smile and you could clearly see the proud glimmer in Jim's eyes. Jim knew, already, that Amanda and Aaron would make each other very happy, even if it was for a limited time. He had no idea how strong willed Amanda was. If she'd be able to handle that much stress from her boyfriend always being gone on buisness. Whether he was in New York or Bejing, but Jim had faith in them. Both of them.

Slowly the limo pulled up to the meeting building with Congress and the House of Reps to discuss Presidential issues and, of course, Aaron was to distract Amanda. Andrew didn't want Amanda out of his sight, but he had no choice now. So Amanda was force to at least be near her father and Aaron was to follow her everywhere.

Aaron looked out the window and saw the huge garden in the back of the building and immeditatly he knew where he was taking Amanda to "distract" her. Shaking her awake lightly her big blue eyes opened groggily.

"Wha-" she asked sitting up slowly. Her eyes were half shut and she looked like a child. Aaron smiled to himself. Jim opened the door slowly and peaked his head inside.