chapter thirteen ➸ the fall

We're in our own little world then; enough that we don't notice the footsteps that approach us from behind.

The sound of glass breaking and a gasp echoes out over the gardens, and the two of us  forget how to breath.

We pull apart, the world crashing down before us, and simultaneously turn to look at the person who holds our fates in the palm of their hands.

"Master K-koth?" Ben's voice cracks.

Shit.

-

In that moment our own little world comes crashing down around us, and my knees weaken, the breath ripped from my lungs.

A mixture of emotions passes over Master Koth's face as her icy blue eyes narrow on us, still entwined in the shadow of the statue of my love's grandfather. Her hair, normally pulled back, is a golden halo framing her face. She is wearing loose pants and a soft robe, leading me to believe she had only been out on a nightly stroll when she had been unable to fall asleep.

I can feel Ben's body tremble in my arms, but I knew that he couldn't be afraid, as he stared our Master down.

"What is the meaning of this?" Her usual calm demeanor has vanished, her voice booming, amplified in the cold air, words leaving her lips in puffs.

"Lyra still mourns the loss of Catherine, Master. I was merely comforting her." Ben answers calmly, breaking me out of my trance. I pull away from him, hugging myself to shield my body from the chill.

Ben is an excellent liar. He always knew exactly what to say and how to say it. I know that he would have gotten away with this excuse.. if only she hadn't already seen that our mere comforting "embrace" was much more than that.

"What you have done is against the Jedi Code. I trust you both know that." Master Koth growls, glancing at both of us, studying us.

She had always been watching us. While others may have sensed a change between us in the following our revelations to each other, Master Koth alone had been the one to pinpoint it.

"You cannot tell Master Skywalker, Del-Naris. He is my uncle, and Lyra is everything to me. Your discretion might keep you from any harm." The tone to Ben's voice is unlike any I have ever heard from him before. I watch his movements with wide eyes, a prickling feeling creeping up the back of my neck.

His voice harbors so much anger and pain.

"Are you threatening me, Solo?" Master Koth is equally surprised as I am, and I don't miss the way her fingers slowly sneak into her robe, likely touching the cool metal of her weapon hanging at her waist underneath. Ben doesn't miss this either, and in the blink of an eye the beam of his blue lightsaber is out, whirring, pointed in her direction

"What are you doing?" I hiss, but it seems as if he doesn't even hear me, his gaze intent on the woman standing at the end of his weapon.

"Lyra and I are happy, but you would do anything in your power to keep us apart." He spits, glaring at her figure with an emotion I don't recognize in his amber eyes.

"I hope you are not implying this as a personal agenda to me. I am here to teach you the ways of the Force, and you are breaking code. This is wrong, Ben! Why can't you understand that?" She shakes her head, taking her lightsaber from her belt but not yet igniting it. That's when I see fear flash in her eyes, and the gravity of the situation hits me like a load of bricks.

"Ben, our your lightsaber away." I say quietly. He doesn't move a muscle.

"Ben." I say, louder this time, and he finally turns to look at me, his harsh eyes softening.

"I'm doing this for us, Lya. To keep you safe." He reasons. His handsome face floats in my vision, the freckles on his left cheek wet, his black curls blowing wildly in the wind, and my heart hurts at the pain so evident in his beautiful eyes.

He is trembling, I realize, in anger. He almost looks like a trapped animal.

"Master Koth won't hurt me, Ben." I purse my lips.

"She'll take you away from me! You're the one I'm doing all of this for!" He raises his voice, leading on things I don't quite understand, but I am beginning to get a grasp on.

"What is this? What are you doing for me?" I cry, desperately confused, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. I pull at his favorite purple sweater uncomfortably, wishing I had the mind to have brought something with me to stop him from making any drastic mistakes.

His eyes widen as if he'd caught his slip up, and he squeezed them shut for five long seconds, shaking his head twice, then he turns to Master Koth again.

"No, no.....NO!" He screams, baring his teeth. Master Koth ignites her lightsaber just in time to stop his blow, kicking her leg back to hold his immense force and strength.

I watch in horror, frozen in place, as the pair begin a duel. I am practically powerless. I could try to manipulate the force to stop him, but I know Ben would easily overpower me.

He cuts and slashes at her, each blow angrier and more aggressive, but fluid. Master Koth struggles to block each attack, grunting and out of breath.

Ben pushes her backward until she is standing at the edge of the garden, against the rail that is meant to prevent a lethal drop of thousands of feet into the heart of the city of Coruscant.

"Stop!" I yell, tears falling down my cheeks at what I am witnessing: the man I love ruthlessly attacking the Jedi Knight I have looked up to since the moment I entered the Temple.

"You have chosen the wrong path, Solo!" Master Koth declares, looking deep into Ben's eyes as he holds his blue beam to her throat. He bares his teeth once more, and with one fateful shove, our young Master is vanished, falling to her death below the clouds.

Ben is frozen as he watches over the railing, pink lips open slightly, horror rearing its ugly head in his gaze. Rain begins to fall over our shoulders, soaking our clothes as we decipher the horrible turn our night had taken.

"What have you done?" I whisper.

-

TOLD YALL SHIT WAS GOING DOWN!!

sadly it had to be done.. so many things have to be done..

let me know what you think in the comments, hopefully i'll have a new chapter up soon!

all the love,

kait