chapter seven ➸ new perspective

Ben's POV

Entranced.

It is the way I feel when I look at her.

I pick at the grass in the forested hollow near the Garden of Lore, waiting.

Each blink of an eye is pained; my insomnia had begun to get the best of me. I couldn't only blame the sickness, though.

I don't want to sleep. It is what sleep brings me that terrifies me the most.

My eyelids droop, and it's everything I can muster to keep myself upright. The overgrown green around me suddenly seems as if it would serve the most comfortable pillow, and I can't help myself. I drop, unconscious.

Whispers are what tear me from my supposed stupor.

Black. Dark. It surrounds me, and I blend in.

The voices have me at my feet and running before I can even comprehend what I'm doing. Where I'm going. Who I'm running from.

My vision is unnaturally vivid. The whispers in my ears are deafening. They are calls to join them. To join the dark.

"I won't!" I shout into the void, my voice raw and bloodied.

I am short-tempered. It is my greatest flaw. The anger rises like bile in my throat. It burns.

It is the fire inside of me. Running, dancing, teaming with life. It is burning out.

Then, I hear the scream.

"N-no." I whisper. A light appears in the dark, like the end of a tunnel. I can't stop. I chase it and I struggle, only wishing I wouldn't have to see it again.

And again. And again.

"Ben, help! Please!" My love begs with false hope clear in her jaded orbs. I try to reach for her and I am restrained, a greater strength keeping me away from her.

Frustrated, horrified tears cascade over my boyishly-freckled cheeks as I watch her body writhe and convulse in pain, each cry she lets out a direct stab in the heart.

"You're weak, pathetic! Now you will suffer!" A gravely voice accuses behind me, one that I recognize.

The voice is right. I am weak. I can only watch and cry like a child, while she is tortured.

"Lya!" I scream.

"Why won't you save me, Ben? Why?" She begs, her fists clenching and unclenching, her eyes glassy.

"You cannot save her, unless you turn." The whispers that surround me chant, growing higher and higher in volume.

I am suddenly unrestrained. I drop to the dusty ground and crawl to her, reaching to cup her head in my hand. But when I touch her, it is the fire within me that takes over.

I can only stare in complete horror, physically unable to shut my eyes, as her flesh begins to burn, her hair blackening. Singed.

Blood-curdling screams rip through her throat, sometimes forming the word 'Ben'.

"No, please! Make it stop!" I cry, my head pounding and my heart being ripped right out of my chest.