Chapter 15 - Naughty Nuptials

As the chauffeur-driven Ambassador crossed Kakinada, greenery greeted the honeymooners. 'I never knew that we're so close to nature,' exclaimed Sandhya leaning on her man.

"Once we're in Konaseema, you won't have eyes even for me," said Raja Rao feeling refreshed.

"How I wish that Roopa were with us," said Sandhya, lost in her excitement.

"I'm beginning to get envious of your Roopa," he said in jest, taking her hand.

"Why so, she only complements my love for you," she said lovingly.

"What's so special about her by the way?" he tried to appear casual.

"Simply put, she's unique, though it feels nice being your wife, her separation hurts me no end. We've grown up dreaming living as neighbours," she said emotively.

"It's still possible," he said tentatively,

"Can we move over to Hyderabad!" she said excitedly.

"I love that place like no other, let's see how soon we can make it," he said as he made up his mind by then to try to win Roopa's favour.

"Till then, be prepared for my nagging on that score," she said, looking into his eyes.

"Won't I love that," he said kissing her hand.

"Roopa would be thrilled to hear about that," she said excitedly.

"Don't tell her till we're close to that," he cautioned her.

"How I wish it were now," she said, closing her eyes as if in prayer.

"But for now, we're in Draksharama," he said.

'So it portends well, let's seek Lord Bhemeswara's blessings," she said

"Why not, I've to thank Him a lot and pray for more," he said.

Seeing her in reverence before the deity, he could discern the serenity of her beauty and felt beholden for the blessedness that life had bestowed upon him.

"What have you sought from Him?" he asked her as they got back into the car.

"I think, you can guess,'" she said dreamily.

"Why can't I?" he said lovingly.

"What about your prayer?" she asked him.

"Let it be my secret," he said smilingly.

"Then keep it under lock and key," she said feigning anger.

"It's all about love," he said effulgently.

"I love you," she jibed with him joyously.

Soon they reached the shores of Kotipally to cross the Godavari. Sandhya's fear of water shored up by his assurances en route, sunk her heart as she saw the mighty river in its lean summer course. While the prospect of boating across it shocked her water- phobic psyche, Raja Rao's coaxing of her, which bordered on pecking, amused the travelers and the boatmen alike. Caught between the onshore embarrassment and the offshore predicament, as Sandhya stepped into the boat as though she were slipping into the river itself, Raja Rao, having jumped into it earlier like a habitual, tended his perplexed bride tenderly into it, and once in, she reached for a cross plank seemingly considering the center of gravity of that which was afloat. Seeing her predicament then, those who sat on it moved away to enable the newly-weds ensconced in the middle. In time, having adjusted herself in trepidation, Sandhya clasped her man as though he were the mast of the boat itself.

During the voyage, when he ventured to toy with the waters, she pulled him in fear and reprimanded him for his daring. Whenever the boat was rocked in motion, she enlaced him in confusion, inducing him to cuddle her for her comfort. As her primordial beauty pixilated by panic evoked pity in him, he was empathic in addressing her apprehensions. However, having got over her fears in his protective embrace, in time, while she felt that she has grasped the meaning of marriage, seeing her at ease thus, he could visualize the power of love over the fear of the unknown.