"Why does any woman find that idiot attractive?" I asked with a shake of my head.

"He's a damn good liar, and tells the best tales that he knows about other people's lives as his own."

"Yeah, I've realised that. Somehow his cheating doesn't surprise me. If I told Carly, I'm sure she wouldn't believe me." I sighed.

"Ry knows that I refuse to live my life the way my parents do. He's even more aware after today of how much it pisses me off that he's cheating on Carly." Max told me a tiny facet that I didn't know about him.

"What did your parents do that bothers you so much?" I couldn't resist asking and he pondered my words for a long stretch.

"My parent's marriage was one of convenience. Dad's family had lost all of their money, so he had to marry someone wealthy to redeem the losses. I've never seen them show a polite attitude towards each other, let alone kiss or hug. In public they're like the perfect couple, but behind the scenes is a growing amount of hatred.

"Both of my parents cheat, and they blatantly show it around the household. They always try to one up each other, and it's not fun to be around. I don't even know if my sisters and I share the same father." Max finished his explanation and my heart went out to him.

"Wow, what a terrible situation to grow up in." I sympathised.

"All of my sisters refused to marry for money. They all found someone who they love, so they don't have to end up like my parents. I intend to do the same thing. No matter how many women my father throws at me, I'm not going to marry them just to continue the Brown legacy. The next generation doesn't deserve to put up with all of the bull shit we had to as kids."

I had to admire the determination that Max showed me. It explained a lot about him that I'd never once considered. I now saw a bigger facet of who he was and what he wanted from life. He was a much bigger surprise that I expected.

"That sounds fair to me. It's your life and you should get to live it the way you want to live." I replied.

"You'd think so. I guess my problem comes from my sisters finding love with wealthy men. I'm not going to have that same situation. It'll be another thing my father finds disappointing in me." He stared out of the window with a defeated expression.

I didn't know what to say for a long moment, "nobody's perfect, Max. You should get to be with whoever you want. What gives your parents the right to choose anyway?"

"Plus I make enough money to support a household." Max added, as if that mattered.

"You know the amount of money one has doesn't necessarily make you more attractive to the opposite sex, and you just told me that yourself." I pointed out.

"Some women appreciate dollar signs too much. The important ones don't." Max stated exactly what I wanted to say, so I snapped my jaw closed and nodded.

"Where are we putting the couch, because I don't want it at home if Ry's been using it." I shuddered at even the thought.

"I've got the perfect place. We're going to need it some day soon, so I don't want to get rid of it just yet."

"What the heck would I need another soiled couch for?" I grouched.

"You'll just have to wait and see." He tapped his nose and smiled slyly.

Max refused to tell me where we were heading, even when I asked. His sly smile only seemed to expand the more times I questioned him. I left him to his secrets as I pondered my morning.

When we started heading closer to the ocean and further away from our apartment, I wondered whether I should say something. We lived not far from the beach, but far enough away that most days I couldn't get up the energy to walk out there. If my car still worked it would be a ten minute drive. I used to go to the beach far more often when I had my car.