With these companions nearby and Thayer always beside her, Gigi had managed to face the days of celebration with an easy and gracious air. But as she stood in front of the mirror that elegant lady was nowhere in sight. All that was there was a barefoot vagabond.

Margo stepped back from straightening out Gigi's sashes and looked at her. Instinctively, her hand dropped to the small swell of her belly. Gigi turned to her.

"I am fine," she said. "You should get some rest."

"I could not let you get ready by yourself, Lady." Her eyes twinkled. "I would not have wanted to miss this."

Gigi stepped over and took Margo's hands. "I am so grateful for all that you have done. I know I would have been lost without you here with me. But I am truly fine. Get some rest, Vic would not like you on your feet for so long, and I feel the same."

"If you wish it, Lady."

Gigi squeezed her hands, feeling the metal band on Margo's finger.

"I do. I need you most tomorrow."

Margo curtsied, smiling at Gigi as she left. The room was silent and Gigi walked to the balcony. The summer air was cool and played with the candle flame, sending the furniture shadows swaying across the floor. As Gigi waited, her body got antsy to move. She walked back to the door and paced, straining to hear the sound of footsteps. When at last they came, her heart hiccuped. A light knock came and Gigi pulled the door open.

On the other side stood Thayer. He was dressed in plain trousers, a cotton shirt tucked in and three sashes that matched Gigi's hanging from around his waist. At the sight of Gigi with her black curls falling loosely over her bare shoulders, he paused.

He brushed a hand along the edge of her hair down to her bare shoulder, his smile growing the whole time. His caress was light but still managed to shock ever nerve in Gigi.

"I do not think I would mind being kidnapped by a vagabond such as you," he said.

She laughed but quickly covered her mouth to stop the sound from waking anyone.

"I believe I have already kidnapped you once," she said.

"Then do it again and never let me free."

"As you wish, My Prince."

Thayer gave her that smile that she found herself always savoring. He bent his head forward.

"I appear to be in need of your assistance," he said.

His hair was neat, not a single strand was out of place. Gigi ran her hands through the thick locks, messing it up until it was almost as much of a mess as Huck's.

Before she could survey her work, Thayer was kissing her. Her hands stayed in his hair for a completely different reason, as he pulled her into him. The feel of him was so familiar and yet always shockingly new.

"We will be late," Gigi said between kisses.

"I do not believe we can be late when it is us they wait for."

Gigi pulled back and cupped Thayer's face, keeping him from kissing her again. He looked reluctant to stop. It was an endearing expression that made Gigi smile.

"Yes, but unlike noblemen, vagabonds do not keep people waiting."

"Then, by all means, let us go."

He took her hand. Despite his appearance, his fingers had the callused feel of someone who knew hard work. Where he got them from she didn't know. But it was a thing she knew she had time to find out.