Chapter 31 - "I wish the same for you, my Prince."

Start from the beginning

"It is a person, whom you will miss, isn't it? Not this place?" she said.

Gigi released her hold, the sadness in her eyes saying it all.

"I will not forget your words, Lady," Margo said.

"Good."

The porters arrived and carried Gigi's trunks away. Giving the room a last glance, Gigi followed them out. The palace was a stir with men and women collecting their possessions and starting to leave. Servants rushed about, lists of tasks climbing by each second. Though busy they never failed to show respect or manage a parting smile. As she walked, Gigi gazed over the palace feeling very little about its beauty, wishing for the beauty of a landscape of endless nature dotted with a town of tents.

In the foyer her grandparents were waiting, a hive of servants running to and fro for them. When they spotted Gigi joining them, they sent the servants away with final assignments. Before they could step out into the courtyard the King and Queen approached.

"Arthur," the King said, shaking Lord Brixton's hand. "It was wonderful to have you with us again."

The Queen moved to Lady Brixton and offered her own form of this statement. When she was finished exchanging words, she looked to Gigi. She took her hands and gave them an affectionate squeeze. In her warm brown eyes, Gigi saw Thayer's and her heart clenched.

"Genevieve," Ashlyn said, "I wish to thank you again for your assistance to me. Acting as my translator."

"The pleasure was all mine, your majesty," Gigi said.

"As it was my pleasure in getting to know you, dear. I know I will not be the only one who will miss your presence here." Her eyes were keen and understanding.

"Is his highness here?"

"Unfortunately my son had to leave early this morning to solve some conflict at the ports. But I know he wishes he could have said his farewells in person."

Gigi gave the Queen a reassuring smile though her heart sank. In a way, she knew it was better like this.

"Of course. Would you tell him I offer my goodbyes and thank him for the kindness he showed me."

"I will."

The Queen let go of Gigi's hands and took a place by her husband's side.

"Safe travels," the King said to them.

In response, Gigi's grandfather bowed his head while her grandmother and Gigi curtsied.

"Till next year," the Queen said. "Or perhaps sooner for a different sort of celebration." Her eyes twinkled with a hidden delight and Gigi's breath caught.

"We look forward to hearing from you," Lady Brixton said, mirroring the Queen's concealed happiness.

With final farewells, they left the foyer and walked out into the melancholy day. A carriage was waiting at the foot of the stairs for them, a train of carriages preceding it for the luggage and servants. Vic was among the men moving around the courtyard, securing straps and steadying the horses. He caught Gigi's eyes as she was about to step into the carriage and gave her a friendly smile. Her own lips echoed his, but her emotions couldn't match his cheeriness. Enclosed in the sweet-smelling box, they took off.

As the wheels rolled down the gravel path, Gigi couldn't help herself. She looked out the window and stared back at the palace, at the grounds, at the memories that she had made within these boarders. Her mind flittered over the faces she had met lingering on those she could call a friend. Davin. Raif. She tried not to settle on the one face she would never be able to drive from her mind. A face she never wanted to forget.