Chapter 29 - "It does not have to be that way."

Comenzar desde el principio

Lady Brixton didn't know how her words held the opposite effect since Gigi kept her face from showing her emotions. Nothing sounded more painful than returning year after year. Seeing Thayer year after year; with Everly on his arm. Year after year.

Taking Gigi's silence as astonishment, her grandmother went on.

"You could even throw a ball of your own at our Estate," she said. "For whatever occasion you wish. Perhaps one day when you announce an engagement." Her eyes took on a mischievous glint. "To someone worthy. Someone like Lord Davin. I have seen you spend so much time with him and can see how you care."

A bare hint of a smile tugged at Gigi's lips knowing the true amusement of her grandmother's statement that she could not see. Lady Brixton caught the look and felt sure she had won.

"This is all more than I could have imagined," Gigi said when her grandparents remained looking at her.

"We know dear," her grandmother said. "You do not need to give us an answer now. Come, we shall all go down together."

Gigi followed her grandparents out of her room. As they walked Lady Brixton talked of the previous balls and how every year the festival was better than the last. Gigi responded with positive words but gave no opinion of her own. With each step towards the ballroom, she felt her heart grow heavier and heavier until it resided by her shoes.

When they walked through the double doors, Gigi's thoughts were forgotten for a brief moment. Hanging in curves along the balcony, staircase, across windows and from the ceiling were strips of gold fabric, representing the hue as the full moon. The flames from candelabras and lanterns danced off the fabric turning them into strands snatched from the sun.

Everywhere she looked men and women were ornamented with gold. Some wore it woven into their hair or around their necks. Others had it sew into the detail of their dresses, so it looked as if veins of gold were hidden in the gown. Gigi was one of the few who wore a completely gold dress. Though the others' gowns were just as becoming, on their paler complexion it washed out their looks where on Gigi's dark skin it heightened hers.

They were announced and eyes drifted to them, floating over Lord and Lady Brixton and settling on Gigi. She descended the stairs, aware of the men holding themselves back from hurrying to meet her. With the weight of their looks, Gigi felt herself longing to hide away in her room. At the bottom of the stairs, she was saved from a deluge of admirers by her grandmother's words.

"I believe Lord Davin will be looking for you," she said. "I know he must be disappointed with not escorting you here himself. Perhaps you can go find him and give him the first chance at a dance with you." 

Gigi had no doubt that Davin wasn't at all disappointed and had no desire to dance, but she took the escape.

"Thank you," she said. "I will go console him."

The men closest heard the exchange and acted as if they had somewhere else to be. Gigi broke from her grandparents and made for a staircase. If getting to know Davin over the last month had taught her anything, then she knew where he would be.

She was right when she climbed to the balcony and saw him resting against the railing. Sipping from a wine glass, he surveyed the scene. As Gigi approached she saw that he was not really seeing what was below him. His eyes held a distance look and there was a crease in his forehead.

"What thoughts plague you tonight?" she asked.

His gaze flicked to her but returned to the dancing throng.

"None," he said, his voice controlled.

He rested both elbows on the railing as if to close Gigi off. She said nothing to this and let her attention roam over the ballroom, fine with the silence Davin was imposing. They remained that way while voices mingled and laughter taunted their troubled thoughts.