Chapter 27 - "Look only at me."

Start from the beginning

Taking her in his arms, they spun away. Gigi forgot about Thayer. Tossing her thoughts away, she was only aware of the freedom she felt moving to a melody that had no destination, focused solely on enjoying the journey.

They were stopped in their path when some tapped the man's shoulder.

"The lady is already spoken for," Thayer said, his commanding tone leaving no room for argument.

The man looked between Gigi and Thayer. Realizing it wasn't worth a fight, he relinquished her. Thayer took his vacated spot. She raised a taunting eyebrow.

"I was not about to be bested by a dance," he said.

Gigi laughed and the beginnings of a smile appeared on Thayer's lips at the sound.

"I'm pleased you are not so easily beaten."

With determined confidence, he slid his arm around her waist and took her hand. 

"It is simply feeling," he said.

She gave a nod. His fingers gripped hers as if already fearing for what was to come.

"Don't think."

He frowned. "I find it difficult not to think."

"Then think about me. Forget steps and follow my lead."

"Following. Another thing I find hard to accomplish."

Reaching up, she gently took hold of his chin with her fingers tips. Their eyes locked with each other.

"Look only at me," she said.

"I fear that would negate all logic and cause us both to stumble about. Especially taking into consideration the steps are unknown and I will be striving to not injure your feet."

Gigi shook her head in amusement.  "Very well, dance with me as you would back at the palace."

This eased Thayer. Comfortable in something he knew, they danced. With each step, he fell into the grace that she knew him to dance with. She softened into his hold, letting herself be whirled around. It felt as if she were dancing with the wind, guided without caring where she went. Thayer's eyes stayed glued to her, watching as a contented smile overtook her face. A mystified spark flickered in his eyes, his own lips wishing to return her emotion.

As the rhythm of the night sank deeper into their bones, he pulled her closer. His structured movements tumbled away until they found their own blend of Court and commoner. Gigi shifted her hold, closing the space between them. Her eyes glowed up at him.

Thayer smiled, a look she had only seen once before. In that moment it felt as if he was feeling the same freedom that was coursing through her.

"You're not so terrible for a Prince," she said.

A laugh lept from Thayer's lips, the sound deep and throaty as if rusty from non-use. The sound surprised Gigi almost as much as it surprised Thayer.

"It seems you are feeling rather than thinking," she said.

"I fear you are to blame."

"We Eldin have been blamed for far worse. This accusation I will gladly take responsibility for."

A somberness came over Thayer at her words, but she shook her head.

"Stop thinking, Thayer."

The look vanished. "Pardon?" he said, the edge of his lip curling.

Gigi's spirits were too buoyant to let social customs pull her down. She laughed, the sound carefree.

"I told you to stop thinking, Thayer."