Dilemma Resolutions

The factories are still chugging away as I near the city, which is different to usual. The night has made itself known again and I thought people stopped working once darkness struck the streets. I suppose that it is one of the many changes that the President has imposed upon the people. This is no longer a city of play, it's a city of work. Slowly the city starts to form at my feet, beginning with damaged tarmac and quaint little brick houses with moss forming at their bases and developing into smooth paths and skyscrapers. The cell I was in is on the opposite side of the city if I remember correctly. I have a few memories which give me a slight sense of direction but some places look so foreign to me that I decide the best option is for me to walk straight and hope I hit the centre of the city. From there, I'll be able to find the President's house.

I know that each skyscraper I pass is filled with hundreds of people, many of whom will probably want to join the leader's fight. They used to be for the wealthier people who didn't work directly for the President but it's evident they've had their purpose changed to house the most people possible. Cai was correct that the President has changed so much of the city to a point where it's unrecognisable and I can't blame him for leaving if, at the age of thirteen, he had to work in the factories. I was lucky enough to have parents that worked for the President which meant that we got nicely maintained houses close to the outskirts of the city. Despite the many negative things they had to say about him, that was one of the few benefits that came from their work.

"Oi!" I jump with fright at the sound of a male voice cutting through the sound of the factories. A guard is standing on a corner about a hundred meters in front of me, wearing the usual maroon coloured uniform. "What're you doin' out 'ere at this time?"

I walk towards him, making sure there are at least ten meters between us before I respond. It's an awkward walk with the guard staring at me the whole time but I hope that it's just as uncomfortable for him too. He's muscular and it looks like his jawline has been chiselled, his only negative feature being a large bruise bulging on his forehead. "I need to see the President," I attempt to sound confident but my voice breaks and it ruins the effect I was going for. The guard must notice this too as he raises an eyebrow as if he thinks I'm joking.

"Why would you need to see him?" There is no change to his deep, booming tone which commands attention.

I take a sharp intake of breath to compose myself and give the confident tone another shot, "I just need to see him. If it helps, he'll probably want to see me too." This time I have a bit more authority in what I say and the guard nods his head, pondering what to do next.

"I'll be the judge of that. What's your name?"

"Kelly." The guard looks me over for a few seconds. If he hadn't heard of me when I was in the cell, I'm almost certain he will have heard about me now.

"Come with me," he turns and starts walking away abruptly.

I follow, keeping in time with the fast pace he's walking at, "Where are you taking me?" The guard doesn't respond or even appear to acknowledge that I said anything to him. All I can do is hope he's taking me to the President at the moment but that may not be the case at all. He could just be taking me back to the cells again for me to rot away in silence.

Somehow the buildings get taller as we speed through the paved streets, each of them identical to each other and reaching up to thirty or forty stories high. The streets continue to get wider but slowly the skyscrapers lower in size to become fancy looking houses until we are standing in front of a large building that stands out from everything else around it. I can recognise the shell of the President's house from when I last saw it but, as expected, he's expanded it in every possible direction.