Introductions

Mickey

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

The blurring sound of my alarm clock was the last thing I wanted to hear at seven in the morning. It was nothing more than a friendly reminder that I had only crawled into bed a few hours ago. So much for sleep. "Ugh!" I groaned yanking the blanket down my body in frustration. It was Monday morning and I wanted nothing more than to sleep in. As I would most Monday mornings after a wild weekend.

But unlike the others today I had no choice but to leave my bed.

Buzz! Buzz!

I threw my legs over the side of the bed before tossing my hair over my left shoulder. Grabbing my phone from the nightstand nearby and scanning over the text I had just received.

- P.O. Brown

This is a friendly reminder. You better be up and moving around. My brother won't hesitate to call me a second to the minute you're late. This is your last chance Briggs.

I rolled my eyes before sitting the phone back down and dragging my feet to the bathroom. I was regretting agreeing to this stupid ass shit already. There were a million other things I could be doing with my time besides this. But the thought of sitting in jail again was out of the question.

I turned on the shower and pulled up the glass door a bit. Pulling the over sized t shirt I was wearing over my head and heading over to the sink. Thank good for my deep mocha complexion because it was the only thing keeping me from looking completely flushed and worn out.

I rubbed my eyes unimpressed with their redness before dropping a few eye drops into them and entering the shower. The cold water felt good against my warm skin. I could still feel the lingering affects of all the alcohol I had consumed the night before and wondered if P.O. Brown would give me a break if I told him I was sick or something. I highly doubted it however.

If it weren't for him having grown up with my brother Kirk I even doubted he'd be giving me this second chance right now. He owed my brother a favor. For what? I wasn't sure. But I was sure if push came to shove and I fucked up one more time he'd have my ass hauled in without a second thought.

So here I was preparing to keep up my end of the bargain. I had been assigned to do anger management as a part of my initial release. I can't really say it helped much. It was all so cliché. I understood that it wasn't okay to punch people in the face because I was angry. But I never understood why people wanted to anger me enough for me to want to punch them in the face. That was a mystery. Why was it so hard for people just to leave me the hell alone? I was convinced that the words try me were etched into my forehead and I was the only one who couldn't see them.

Like this Amber bitch. She had to have wanted the ass whooping she received. Confronting me over a nigga. One I didn't want. And obviously one she couldn't keep.

So to make a long story short P.O. Brown figured if I couldn't keep my hands to myself than I needed to learn to put them on something other than someone else's face. Well almost. He offered me one last chance. The condition being I attend his brother's kick boxing class and stay out of trouble for the remainder of my probation. I agreed to this. Besides I only had three more months to go. But you know like I know how the devil seems to put in over time to destroy you when you're on the verge of breaking free. It seemed like the closer I got to getting off papers the more bullshit I found being thrown at me.

I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a large towel around my body. I pulled my now unruly hair into a bun before continuing on with my typical hygiene routine and heading for my closet.